The Rich Girls Are Weeping

02 August 2006

Sometimes, the churning, gaping maw of the internet hype machine never ceases to amaze me. Like how three of the biggest tastemaker music blogs, You Ain't No Picasso, Gorilla Vs Bear and Fluxblog managed to post about The Dirty Projectors in the past 72 hours. Perhaps even more amusingly, YANP was tipped off to The Dirty Projectors by none other than Final Fantasy's Owen Pallett, who, it must be told, is a pretty constant cheerleader with great taste (remember that time he rec'd Simon Bookish in an interview?)

(Interlude: Franz Ferdinand's "Michael" -- The Simon Bookish Version)

Now, that being said, The Dirty Projectors are not the most accessable band in the world -- but they are wicked-smart brilliant, and teetering on the fine line between uh, freak folk and outsider hip hop. Or something like that. And their live show is intense and fierce and incendiary -- we stumbled in on their SXSW set at Habana Calle 6 when we spotted a few members of Cue pressed up against the stage, rocking out. Wasn't exactly the kind of thing one can really come into in the middle of things and feel wholly comfortable about what's going on -- but it was still one of the most passionate and memorable sets I saw during the whole festival. Perhaps they're our new band in a petri dish -- will this much hype in such a small window of time have any affect on their popularity -- could The Dirty Projectors get kinda big?

My FTP server is totally acting up, so I'll just direct you to some interesting things I've spotted lately:

FannyPack, broken up, or not? Well, meet FannyPack lfrontwoman Cat's newest project, Holy Hail at 20 Jazz Funk Greats and This Big Stereo.

Dirty, naughty glam your thing? Check out The Hot One at Mars Needs Guitars

Never thought I'd say this -- that new Sam Champion demo doesn't suck -- I mean, it's kind of good. I mean, wasn't I supposed to not like this band? Weren't they all gross and Pavement-aping when we saw them last summer? Yes, yes they were -- but something happened. Something good, and now they're totally massaging the part of my brain that loves ... dirty swamp rock boogie?!?! I know, I know -- I should always listen to Chrissy, who's been trying to turn us on to Sam Champion for something like 2 years now! Take a listen at Gorilla vs. Bear. [Sidebar: So, is someone going to record a theme song for us, then? Oh wait, we already have one...]

Oh! I know what I wanted to tell you about -- two more from the UK -- guilty pleasure popgloss... Because clearly, it's about time someone came along the retro-revival pike who sounded like Jimmy Somerville! I know very little about The Delays other than that...

The Delays -- Valentine

This one from The Feeling borrows the very best things about Huey Lewis and the News' "Heart of Rock'n'Roll" and 75% of the ELO back catalog without being annoying about it in the slightest. I heard about The Feeling after reading an article in the Independent about a bajillion years ago -- and they've been secrety rocking my iTunes since then, because apparently they are extremely unhip and top-40. Oh whatevs to that, it was time to come clean.

The Feeling -- Love It When You Call


Now, then, dear Austin readers, hope to see you tonight at the Chain Drive -- it's free, and should be a total riot. I mean, we'll be inside a little room encased in chain link, so ... really, if that doesn't get you to come out, I don't know what will!

Tonight at Chain Drive, 504 Willow St.
(Just south of Cesar Chavez & Red River)

Teenage Symphony (Denton)
The Shells
Plus, dj sets from The Rich Girls are Weeping's Cindy Hotpoint and Pinkie von Bloom

Show starts at 10-ish. No cover, no excuses!


Blogger Pinkie von Bloom said...

The Feeling borrows the very best things about Huey Lewis and the News' "Heart of Rock'n'Roll" and 75% of the ELO back catalog without being annoying about it in the slightest.

completely, totally antiseptic. sorry, cindy. =(

it's about time someone came along the retro-revival pike who sounded like Jimmy Somerville!

i think this in combination with our chain drive residency proves that we're the fag haggiest fag hags in indie rock. =P

in other news, blogger at my comment about birdmonster. i'm too busy to reconstruct.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 5:34:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Dude, I haven't played you that song from The Feeling yet -- just that other one -- or did you listen to this one just now? But you're right, totally antiseptic -- which I happen to think is a virtue, when applied correctly. Popgloss!

Um, we've ALWAYS been the faggiest fag hags in indie rock. Remember how we like, DIED when we saw Owen Pallett for the first time?

I'm sorry blogger ate your comment. Nasty, bad, evil blogger!

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 5:46:00 PM  
Blogger Pinkie von Bloom said...

"i'll be your final fantasy." totally died...partially over the faux wholesomeness of that pullover with the intarsia ducks on.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 6:04:00 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

I wonder why they all posted on the dirty projectors all at once. doesn't matter cuz I looove em.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 6:21:00 PM  
Blogger kathryn said...

Heh, I thought I told you about the Dirty Projectors a long time ago, in the months before SXSW. I downloaded the Getty Address by mistake because I thought it was some other band from the NW.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 6:57:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

You did totally tell me about them, Kathryn. (: I just wasn't expecting to see them play is all -- it was that weird part of Saturday night when there was a weird block of time with no real compelling shows to get to, so we were just wandering around aimlessly. I think we ended up at Habana patio because of The Bats, and I was all, "Hey! The Dirty Projectors are inside! And look! Members of Cue!" (It was totally like that, I swear.)

Michael: It's better not to question the ways of the High Profile Music Blogger Collective Consciousness! (;

Pinkster: That sweater was THE BEST EVER. Quack!

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 7:05:00 PM  
Blogger merz said...

Cindy, thanks for the shoutout to Mars! That Hot One is the bomb!

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 9:11:00 PM  
Blogger Matthew Perpetua said...

Well, you know, I've posted Dirty Projectors a couple times in the past, so I was thrilled to get a new one in the mail. But the thing is, we all get a lot of the same cds, and this is sort of inevitable if something is at all good. It's kinda like the old days of radio, when programmers and DJs made the calls - you'd get local hits, but sometimes lots of people would pick up on the same thing at the same time, and that's good for the artist!

Thursday, August 03, 2006 2:39:00 AM  
Blogger J Frank Parnell said...

I'm okay seeing the Dirty Projectors get hype, even though I haven't always been able to get with their lo-fi one-man genius show in the past ... think I saw him/them one night, maybe not ...

Sam Champion befuddles me with their name - any reason they've chosen to take it from the gay icon/Ken Doll weather forecaster for the NYC area? He was sooo out before he was outed ...

Thursday, August 03, 2006 10:58:00 AM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Perp: Of course, I forgot to throw in the "guess they all got it in the mail today" dig. (; Seriously, I need to be on that mailing list, whatever it is, because obviously, I'm not.

(Sidebar: You posted them before? How did I miss that? Oh, last year, with that great Out Hud track, I see. Yes, vaguely remember that.)

I guess this just amused me because The Dirty Projectors are about the least likely to become some overexposed, over-hyped band one gets sick of hearing about. It's just ... charming. I was on the brink of being really jaded abt. internet hype, and this totally turned things around for me -- at least for now, anyway.

Frank: The Dirty Projectors I saw at SXSW was a stage full of hairy dudes fuh-reaking out. So, wait, at one point it was just a guy with a laptop? Weird.

And, see, the Sam Champion joke is TOTALLY lost on we Texans. I didn't realize they were referencing a real person -- and a big gay weatherman at that! That's kind of funny. It's a good name -- really memorable, so there's that.

Thursday, August 03, 2006 11:54:00 AM  
Anonymous caramel said...

you should try the Delays' "Lost in a melody"

Saturday, August 05, 2006 6:53:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

yeah, I think with DPs, it was simply a case of Matt, Matthew, and I all receiving the cd the same day. and i think we've all posted on the DPs before, so it makes sense that their new record would move to the top of our respective "listen" piles.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 1:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on