The Rich Girls Are Weeping

02 November 2006

Happy Birthday to the fabulous Pinkie Von Bloom!

If we were real rich girls of leisure, we'd probably be whooping it up at CMJ right now -- but we have jobs and budgets, so we're seeing Britt Daniel and having cocktails at the Belmont later -- and playing hooky from work tomorrow (well, not really -- her company gives birthdays off, and I have a day saved up from my 7 year service anniversary date last month) to do girly things like get manicures and go shopping for unmentionables. Trés glam! Anyway, it's a fitting way to celebrate the fact that the Pinkster seems to be exiting her saturn transit relatively intact. (Thank goodness, right?)

First off today, not to be ripping off Gorilla vs. Bear or anything, but we have two offerings from Austin acts related to other buzzy Austin acts. Dana Falconberry sings with Red Hunter in Peter & the Wolf -- she also has her own EP of lovely, dark, and foreboding ballads (and maybe a waltz or two as well), Paper Sailboat, out currently. It's available on iTunes, but if you're local, you can pick up a hard copy at our friendly independent music shops. (MySpace) (iTunes)

Dana Falconberry -- Sophie

And well -- you know we love all the little members of Voxtrot tremendously. So we'd like to congratulate the band's man on the stage piano, Jared Van Fleet, on the release of his new EP, Falls (the first in a quartet of seasonally-themed offerings scheduled to come out over the next year) from his side project Sparrowhouse. This is some seriously good stuff, kids -- deceptively complex and lovely multi-layered pop that really doesn't sound like anything else I've heard recently -- which is way more refreshing than you might imagine. Though, I think the John Brion influence is quite evident in the following... (MySpace) (Buy!)

Sparrowhouse -- Blindfold Waltz.


Imitation Electric Piano -- King's Evil. I kind of can't get enough of this band, ever since The Perp posted another track from their new album the other day. Though this song is a few years old -- what is it with all the harpsichords lately? I mean, I'm not complaining, but it does seem to be kind of a cute little trendlet. Then again, you'd totally expect that from former Sterolabbers, huh? (MySpace)

Electroluvs -- Bubblewrapped./Electroluvs -- First Rush. Seriously, sometimes I'm so so so excited when I stumble over a band by accident and it proceeds to completely blow me away. Case in point: quirky Scottish boy/girl electropopsters Electroluvs. They're another band that manages to use both synths and banjos (is this another trendlet?) -- which I think may be my absolute favorite weird juxtaposition of instruments in the whole entire universe. RIYL The Blow and um, Pulp, I guess. You'll see. (MySpace)

The Human League -- Only After Dark (Electroluvs Remix). ...and see! See! I had to love the Electroluvs because HELLO, they remixed The Human League! Always a plus. Seriously. (Thx Paul F.!)

Finally, this one's for you, Pinkie. You're the best SBFF (that's uh, super best friend forever, thx to Sarah for coining that one) a girl could ever want. Thank you.

Cocteau Twins -- Donimo.


Blogger paul said...

"The Perp?" Is he aware you're referring to him as such? Because I find it unrelentingly hilarious!

Friday, November 03, 2006 3:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday, pinkie! from, tomiep

Friday, November 03, 2006 2:47:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Paul: I don't know where that came from, it just sort of popped into my head the other day, and I used it in another post, but it was totally unremarked upon. I'm horrible about giving people nicknames that they HATE.

Monday, November 06, 2006 3:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on