The Rich Girls Are Weeping

05 May 2006

Last night's insane tornado-generating weather really did a number on my neighborhood. There's a giant tree uprooted and strewn in the middle of my street, and out on the high street, business signs were blown clear off buildings. It looks like something much worse happened than a microburst with steady 75 mph winds. Anyway, due to the weather, I missed out on going to the Tonewheel happy hour at Beerland, Mice and Rifles at Flamingo, and the Crystal Skulls at Emo's. The fact that I missed the latter ended up being mostly fine because they were sandwiched between two acts I don't much care for, and I did see them twice on that Mountain Goats tour last year. I'm sure they'll come around again and play with more interesting people, right?

Do you know what I love most about WFMU? That they dilligently collect bizzaro covers, so I don't have to. You know, like this collection of "Stairway to Heaven" covers. I like the one by the Vienna Symphonic Orchestra best, it is TOTALLY CHEEZY IN THE BEST WAY. The glass harmonica one is pretty rad too -- because glass harmonicas, outside of theremins and pump organs and alto recorders and farfisas and melodicas, are the best instruments ever.

I found this archive of old school hip hop yesterday, and really, could you ask for anything better? (YO CHILL!)

Some random selections from the archive as I rushed out the door this morning -- I've been running late every day this week; I hate it when that happens.

The Mountain Goats -- Cut Yr. Hair (Pavement cover, live, unknown date but pretty old -- sorry for the bad quality)
Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood -- Some Velvet Morning
Goldfrapp -- Number One (Mum remix)


I have a very show-ful weekend: Tonight is Just Guns/Benko/The Normans/Darling New Neighbors at Trophy's, which is the best kind of show because it requires so little effort to walk there from Pinkie's apartment; tomorrow is John Vanderslice (with Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday)/Laura Veirs/Minus Story at Emo's. It will be ultra nice to see JV and the boys (insert orgasmic "BROECKER!" shriek here) and we're making them some cupcakes. I've nowt seen Ms. Veirs and am not the biggest fan but I've been coming around to her lately, and I'm ultra-excited to see Minus Story again, they really blew me away the first time I saw them last year.

Anyway, other than that I don't have any big plans -- I kind of need a haircut and I really need to clean my apartment. Thrills!

3 Comments:

Blogger Pinkie von Bloom said...

1. BROECKER! Dude. Put a bass in front of a hot boy and I'm suddenly half my (advanced) age. (This being said, there must also be a meeting of minds and aesthetics, which does not apply to one Mr. Broecker as it's way too much fun to shriek "BROECKER!" like a 15 year-old fangirl. See also: that moustache that is bordering on "Kentucky nasty.")

2. Haircut is OK. Really, the issue is the black isn't sucking all the light out of the universe anymore. You must return to the dark side.

3. We missed Mice & Rifles?! Dood. I wish I'd known. I could have gone downtown and gotten rained on.

Friday, May 05, 2006 3:58:00 PM  
Blogger Pinkie von Bloom said...

I stand corrected as it was merely a trick of lighting that made me believe that BROECKER(!) was sporting a lip ferret. Still, he could work one. But that still wouldn't make it right.

Friday, May 05, 2006 4:01:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

I tried to find the SOOPER hot picture of him on someone's Flickr -- Kathryn's? Heather's? Stephanie's? -- but misplaced it. It does look like he's got a stache in this one, but he also has the bitty upper lip thing going on too.

We really need to get out and see Mice and Rifles sometime!

Friday, May 05, 2006 4:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com