The Rich Girls Are Weeping

20 July 2006

Sometimes it behooves you to revisit things you really love that may have been put by the wayside in favor of things new and flashy. I'm not sure why I got on a jag to listen to The National today, but that's pretty much what I've done for the past few hours. Listening to their self-titled debut album, I'm amazed, in comparison to the huge number of debut albums I listen to nowadays, how incredible it was -- and even more spectacularly, how much they've grown and developed since then.

I didn't think that much of The National before last year, despite all the buzz -- and yet they made the last half of 2005 bearable for me -- and I'm really not exaggerating when I say that. I just didn't get them until I saw the live show. (Much like my experience with The Wrens...) Not to be melodramatic, I credit them for opening up a floodgate holding back a serious amount of pent-up emotions I'd been carrying with me for years.

Thing one: Vincent Moon's gorgeous video for "Sons and Daughters of the Soho Riots." I'd love to know more about the technicalities of this video (cameras and film stock used, etc.), though I assume it's probably 16mm and not Super8...



Thing two: More from Vincent Moon, live videos from Paris in late 2005. (his site) (youtube: about today, abel, baby we'll be fine)

Thing three: A few songs.

The National -- Mr. November
The National -- Cardinal Song
The National -- 90-Mile Water Wall
The National -- Son


(even! more! at their site! wasp nest/slipping husband/murder me rachael/cold girl fever)

***

The National is playing the Pitchfork Music Festival next weekend (along with like, a huge number of my other favorite bands), a festival in France in September, and a limited number of dates across the country in October. More info at their site.

ps -- OMG, they're just silly. Love it. These are, after all, the men who gave me a cut-out of Bono's nose from the cover of Rolling Stone...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the vincent moon videos of grizzly bear and the kooks

Thursday, July 20, 2006 6:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny how similar our experiences with this band seem. I love the videos too.

Thursday, July 20, 2006 6:20:00 PM  
Blogger Flatlander said...

The National is the most artistic thing to ever come out of Cincinnati.

Great band.

Thursday, July 20, 2006 8:21:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

OMG! Someone's totally pissed that I ganked their bandwidth!!

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 7:52:00 PM  
Blogger TJ said...

A little late to the party here, but thanks for the links to the videos. What a great band. They really do tap into something for me too.

Thursday, August 17, 2006 11:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com