The Rich Girls Are Weeping

20 December 2005

All Spoon, all the time. That's what we're about today. I had the privledge of seeing a really great set from the band at The Parish in Austin last night (it was a Christmas benefit show thrown by local gicky "alternative" radio station 101X). It's been a few years since the band played a venue of that size, and it was really nice to see them all up close and personal after a whirlwind year of playing 1000+ capacity venues in support of their latest album, Gimme Fiction. In fact, it made my heart do that squeezy ache thing for most of the set, you know what I mean? I guess that means I may love this band way more than I should. But they're home to me; Spoon will always be the soundtrack to my time in Austin.

Thanks to our adorable benefactor Bunkadoo,
The Rich Girls Are Weeping no longer have to use evil free file transfer sites. I'll try to reposition the older songs today -- but for now, here's a whole mess of Spoon b-sides and personal favorites from the era encompassing the release of Series of Sneaks through Girls Can Tell (ca. 1998-2001), when the band signed to and was summarily dropped from Elektra and then found a home on Merge Records. With a whole lot of drama in between. And as a bonus, I've thrown in my two favorite Spoon songs of all time (both off Girls Can Tell), from a solo live set by frontman Britt Daniel on WNYU, May 17, 2001.

Spoon -- Metal Detektor (from A
Series of Sneaks)
Baby is
so very down with the heist.
Spoon -- I Could Be Underground (from the
30 Gallon Tank +3 7")
The unrequited's a bitch.
Spoon -- Laffitte Don't Fail Me Now (from
The Agony of Laffitte EP)
Hang the A&R man.
Spoon -- Change My Life (from the
Love Ways EP)
You can't keep a good band down. (And if you, yes you are reading this: I just want you to change my life...)

Britt Daniel -- Fitted Shirt (live on WNYU May 17, 2001)
I, too, long for the days they used to say 'ma'am and yes, sir.'
Britt Daniel -- Anything You Want (live on WNYU May 17, 2001)
For all the girls who ever stood waiting for the light on the corner by Sound Exchange. You know who you are.

(A Series of Sneaks, Love Ways, and Girls Can Tell are available from Insound. The 30 Gallon Tank +3 7" (is available from Peek-a-Boo Records and The Agony of Laffitte EP (Saddle Creek Records) is out of print.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Battlestar Luna said...

I took a girl on a date to Spoon to the Parish when it was the mercury. great place to see them.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 11:17:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Those were the days. I bet I was @ that show too. (:

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 2:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually was fortunate enough to also catch spoon at the parish in march 2005 at the sxsw "secret show" at the end of the merge showcase. Everyone was anticipating dino jr. to play and so the place cleared out after spoon came on. It was a kickass intimate set where i was pretty much the only guy singing every word to the songs on gimme fiction, seeing as it wasn't yet released :) that's spoon @ the parish X 2 for me in 2005!

Saturday, January 07, 2006 11:44:00 AM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

I was totally seeing The Hold Steady (and then The Earlies) during that timeframe. I knew that Spoon was the special guest, but hadn't seen The Hold Steady before, so I ended up over at the Whisky Bar instead and squeaked into The Earlies' set at Maggie Mae's right before they played.

I was really glad to get into that 101X show, even if we did have to suffer through the loathsome Morningwood.

Saturday, January 07, 2006 1:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com