The Rich Girls Are Weeping

18 May 2006

Oh darlings, no. Just no. We don't go to the Austin City Limits Festival. We've avoided it these three (or is it four?) years past, as one of us (that would have been me, actually) lived on the edge of the Zilker Park area. Seriously, living 1/2 a mile from a giant music festival will really sour you on the whole experience, especially when you're not thrilled about it to begin with. On the other hand, I did see Broken Social Scene, Neko Case, and The Shins at off-festival shows over the years, and I listened to Wilco and Elvis Costello and The Pixies in the parking lot of my apartments, so that was kind of neat (and based on the feedback of friends, I had just as good a view of the stage as they did, apparently...).

Heck, we're so anti-ACL we even fled the entire city last year because two of our favorite bands were incongruously playing a Tulsa dancehall (wood floors, chandeliers, classy!), and that seemed much more appealing -- and it was, save that awful, awful hotel room in Ft Worth. (And the fact that we missed M83 for the fifteenth time.)

Honestly, outside of the Raconteurs and Goldfrapp and The Stills, we've seen everyone we'd want to see at SXSW or other shows this year. Why stand around in sketchy weather (Ultra-hot? Rain? There's been both in past years...) with a bunch of people who think music festivals are a fun time? Seriously, like, NO WAY.

But that's not to say we won't try and pull a million strings and call in favors to book an off-festival show: Okkervil River, The Long Winters, Ted Leo/RX, Milwaukee, Sparta, I<3YBICD, and The Black Angels seem like they could be conned into something. Maybe? We probably don't have enough pull to score Editors, Goldfrapp, Feist, Stars, The 'Nups, The Shins, Calexico, The Stills, The Secret Machines, or Phoenix though. Which is unfortunate. We are only human, you know. We'll keep you posted, naturally -- even if it's just John Roderick playing a borrowed acoustic guitar in our driveway or something.

Moving on... For some reason, this morning in the shower, I thought: Today is totally Joan Baez day. Totally. Maybe because I'm sick of people complaining about how the new Walkmen album is too Bob Dylan-y. Here's tonic to that, if not beneficial to you -- it at least makes me feel better. (Oh, and the new Walkmen record is not too Bob Dylan-y.)

Joan Baez -- De Colores
Joan Baez -- La Llorona
Joan Baez -- The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
Joan Baez -- Wildwood Flower
Joan Baez -- Long Black Veil
Joan Baez -- Go 'Way From My Window


Oh, and speaking of Goldfrapp, I haven't posted a remix in a week or two...

Goldfrapp -- Fly Me Away (Ladytron Remix)


I also wanted to post "Satin Chic (Bombay Mix by The Shortwave Set)," which is a really interesting way down-tempo Kurt Weill-ian cabaret stomp, but Fluxblog beat me to it (probably while I was speeding down I-10).

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps I'd feel like you if a giant outdoor music festival was on my doorstep. However, living in Ontario, Canada, we have nothing close to a Coachella, or ACL. I went to Coachella in 2004 and it was a blast, at the very least because it was really cool to be in California(palm trees!). I'm going to Sasquatch with my brother next week and I'm optimistic it'll be great.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 7:32:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

I know, it probably makes me sound like a horrible person to complain, but when you've got thousands (literally) of people trying to park in your neighborhood, blocking the only road out, etc., it's kind of lame.

Also, I sunburn really easily and I hate being hot and sweaty in humid weather. (;

Thursday, May 18, 2006 7:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the goldfrapp!

Friday, May 19, 2006 7:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the reply on ACL, I can get sun burnt at night. I forgot to factor in weather that's for sure. I'm in So. Cal so it'd be super hot here too then. I did have fun at some of the KROQ Weenie Roast back in the Day, especially the Blur, Oasis, Radiohead one before anybody in America new who they were.

Friday, May 19, 2006 7:55:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Cherry -- wow! I'm totally jealous of your random run-in. I guess I really was thinking about Ms. Baez because of all the people complaining about The Walkmen record sounding too much like Bob Dylan!! Is she still recording/playing out much? I saw her in that Dylan doc last year, and was pleased to see that she still looks and sounds fantastic!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 11:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com