The Rich Girls Are Weeping

21 July 2006

Too many meetings and too much cake. I haven't been able to gather my wits about me today to get a post together until right this very moment, please forgive me.

this.bigstereo.net is my new favorite place from which to gank quality dance punk, electro, remixes, and references to Bitch LapLap. RchrdOh? and Travis post a winner practically every day, rendering me incapable of leaving comments other than '!!!!!!!' and 'BEST EVER!' -- so professional, I know. They also have the best tag categories ever. Biggest, newest favorite from the BigStereo boys? The Van She -- imagine Fountains of Wayne meets ... Wolfmother? Remixable Australian power pop with cajones cojones, my friends. Yeah-huh! Also: A Portugal. The Man remix from Blake Miller of Moving Units and the wonders of Spektrum, who I'd kind of forgotten about (it's been a while!).

Van She -- Kelly (Alan Braxe & Fred Falke Remix) [also, the video, which has an odd post-modern cinema verite feel to it and I doubt they would ever air it in the US...]

And, this is especially for Miss Pinkie Von Bloom, 'cause she asked and I thought, ok hey, the kids in blogland might like this too. Obscure punk name-checking 101: Elton Mortello's "Jet Boy Jet Girl" vs. Plastic Bertrand's "Ca Plane Pour Moi" -- same musicians, different singer. And uh, subject matter. A tip directly from us: the next time you hear "Ca Plane Pour Moi" in someone's DJ set (*ahem*) -- holler the "Jet Boy Jet Girl" lyrics -- especially the "HE GIVES ME HEAD!!!" bit -- over those silly French ones. You'll be the most popular kids at the party. Promise! Or, well, the most daring ones at least...

Plastic Bertrand -- Ca Plane Pour Moi
Elton Mortello -- Jet Boy Jet Girl


Oh, and don't tell anyone, but I think I may actually like latest buzzy UK import Boy Kill Boy (CAN'T! MISS! THOSE! BANNER! ADS! EVERYWHERE!), which is clearly horrifically embarassing. Like I said, don't tell...

19 Comments:

Blogger Pinkie von Bloom said...

Yep. We were pretty damned popular that night. I know a record that's coming to Chaindrive.

Friday, July 21, 2006 5:40:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Ooooh whoo whoo whoo, HE GIVES ME HEAD!

Friday, July 21, 2006 5:43:00 PM  
Blogger Pinkie von Bloom said...

I think the "I'm gonna make you be a girl!" line is dirtier. :smirk:

You know, Elton Mortello isn't really assisting the QA assigmment I'm trying to finish before COB. =P

Friday, July 21, 2006 5:46:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

I have to write a blog entry about end-of-life care for The Work Blog. I'm so morbid.

Friday, July 21, 2006 5:48:00 PM  
Blogger FiL said...

Oh yes, a very nifty lyrical switcheroo suggestion. Can't wait to belt it out in full dance flow...

I am zee keeng of zee divan!!

FiL

Friday, July 21, 2006 5:51:00 PM  
Blogger FiL said...

Zounds, I did not mean to intrude upon one of your wonderful conversations.

"Behind the arras I'll convey myself, to hear the process..."

FiL

Friday, July 21, 2006 5:58:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

FiL! You can interrupt anytime, really! I've just gone periscope down to write the morbidness...

I want full reports when anyone does the lyric substitution in public. Perhaps I'll give out prizes...

Friday, July 21, 2006 6:10:00 PM  
Blogger Pinkie von Bloom said...

FiL, you haven't intruded on anything. ;)

(Simultaneous to this, there is also an email conversation going on about both songs, a certain DJ, a certain member of a band said DJ may or may not be in, a story of a night at a bar, speculations about our new DJ gig, AND discussions of QA, budget reports, and Cindy's work blog entries. We're not nearly as interesting as we appear to be.)

Friday, July 21, 2006 6:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's cojones, sweetie. unless they have drawers.

Friday, July 21, 2006 6:12:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Hmm. Band as furniture! I like it!

Correction appended, thank you! (;

Friday, July 21, 2006 6:16:00 PM  
Blogger FiL said...

Well, I'm wading through derivative trading documentation drafted by humourless Canadian government lawyers. That's both morbid and uninteresting a go go...

Cindy, I've actually just had some first hand experience with end-of-life care here. Actually, the whole process was handled efficiently, holistically, and sensitively. Oh, Canada (makes up somewhat for the humpurless lawyers...)

Friday, July 21, 2006 6:19:00 PM  
Blogger FiL said...

"Humperless???" Oh, felicitous digital dyslexia!! I meant, of course, "humourless..."

Friday, July 21, 2006 6:20:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Humperless is a great word, I must come up with a way to deploy it.

Tidbit: 1/3 of Medicare costs are specifically related to end-of-life-care. I'm definitely a proponent of hospice care and the like.

Friday, July 21, 2006 6:23:00 PM  
Blogger FiL said...

Mmm. Vancouver has just started an excellent home hospice programme. There is also a wonderful palliative care unit at Vancouver General Hospital.

Would the opposite of humperless be humperful??

Friday, July 21, 2006 6:29:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

You Canadians are so practical about healthcare, seriously. Thank you for being a good example for everyone else. (Also: pallative, such a great word as well.)

Totally. Humperful. As in, "Boy, howdy, that new Basement Jaxx song sure is humperful!"

Friday, July 21, 2006 7:19:00 PM  
Blogger The DoorKeeper said...

Aha! I have been secretly scouring the pages of The Hype Machine for Ca Plane Pour Moi and you have made my night (you have bragging rights) and now I must Mortello forthwith, despite the humperfluous Basement Jaxx

Friday, July 21, 2006 9:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ELTON MOTELLO a k a Alan Ward recorded the original version of "Ca Plane Pour Moi".
It's called "Jet Boy Jet Girl".
In fact Plastic Bertrand used Elton's backing track when he recorded "Ca Plane Pour Moi".

Sunday, November 05, 2006 11:31:00 AM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

All the information I've read seemed to portray the story the other way around.

Monday, November 06, 2006 3:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You' ve got the wrong end of the stick then, Cindy.
I can prove my point since I have inside information from Alan Ward a k a Elton Motello himself.

Sunday, January 07, 2007 10:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com