The Rich Girls Are Weeping

18 August 2006

Yes, yes. We know, it ended in horrible, horrible drama and secret affairs and broken hearts, but wow. While Bryan Ferry and Jerry Hall lasted, that was glamour, y'all.

Bryan Ferry -- Jealous Guy
Roxy Music -- Dance Away


And goodness me, how deliciously loud and rowdy and kinda dirty are Saddle Creek's Ladyfinger (NE)? This band makes big, BIG, BIG rock'n'roll that's smart, just the way we like it. And hey, is having 'lady' in your name, like, the new 'wolf'? Especially if you're a bunch of dudes from the Midwest? (Bethanne over at Clever Titles also likes Ladyfinger (NE) -- really, really likes them...) Their debut full-length, Heavy Hands, is out on Sept. 26.

Ladyfinger (NE) -- Sea Legs
Ladyfinger (NE) -- Diet Smoke


And, because we really, really like you, a lovely Midlake b-side...

Midlake -- Marion

Which reminds me, speaking of Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music and b-sides, I finally got my hands on Electrelane's Singles, B-Sides, & Live album, out next week on Too Pure.

Electrelane -- More Than This (live)
Electrelane -- I'm On Fire


And for your weekend dancing needs, some disco house with big, BIG, BIG synths. From what I can see on the Internets, the limited 12" of this is super hard to come by, so thanks to the little vinyl rippers out there in the aether for providing it:

Lindstrom -- The Contemporary Fix (Serious Syntoms Remix)

This is the busiest weekend we've had in a long time -- shows Friday (Final Fantasy), Saturday (Get Him Eat Him), and Sunday (Okkervil River). I suppose we might see you out and about, then? Good!

Oh, one last thing: John Peel's son Tom Ravenscroft debuts his new music podcast SlashMusic for Channel 4's new venture, 4Radio, next week. Glad to see that whole English primogeniture thing working, I suppose. He sounds quite sweet, actually.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i must say that the ONLY time i've ever cried at a concert is when i saw bryan ferry do "jealous guy" on the mamouna tour. fucking beautiful. and what a sexy man!

Saturday, August 19, 2006 12:01:00 AM  
Blogger cleverlazy said...

and how was final fantasy? did you get him AND eat him? I think that, in its entirety, ought to just be owen's new moniker.

Sunday, August 20, 2006 7:59:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

I'm sorry, the Bryan/Jerry part of this entry wasn't a history lesson, just ... something that was floating around in my head.

I'm sure I'd do readers more good by explaining context and what have you...but that wasn't my aim -- though that is something you do extremely well, Mr. Lee! (:

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 12:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com