The Rich Girls Are Weeping

03 May 2007

Two quick items: Go NOW and listen to the Bellmer Dolls guesting on East Village Radio's Dead Beat Radio until 2pm EDT -- I can't because I'm firewalled here at the day job. Happy Birthday, Peter!

When you're done with that, it's imperative that you head over to OI OI OI, the new blog of the Bang Gang kids. (via Big Stereo...) YOU ARE COMPELLED TO DANCE. Do not fight it. Nope. Don't.

(Also, big ups to Song, By Toad -- because we hadn't seen his new banner, and we lurve it.)

Randomly, because I love you and I love this -- Lo-Fi-Fnk smooshes all the squeaky clean popitude out of this track and turns it into a rhythm-happy and perky-dirty floor-thumper:


The Feeling -- Love It When You Call (Lo-Fi-Fnk remix)
/ (myspace) (remixer)

Favorite current subway commute track, from what's really shaping up to be the best album of 07 so far:

Mark Ronson w/ Amy Winehouse -- Valerie

BONUS: Our old friend Rachel Rhodes (old-skool Austinites may remember her gorgeous, smoky voice from back in the day when she was the vocalist with Rubinchik's Orkestyr) is living in Paris now and is in the process of self-releasing a covers album on her Virb page titled A Tribe Called Request -- the content's directed by specific requests from her pals from around the world via her Vox page. I've missed hearing her sing; perhaps we can compel her to record "Psycho Killer" with ukelele next! (hint, hint)

Rachel Rhodes -- Just What I Needed (and there's more to be had on RR's Virb site)

EXTRA BONUS: Via 14icedbear, The Believer interviews Okkvervil River's Will Sheff. Well, it's Sean from Said the Gramophone, actually doing the interviewing. Best part: knives and being pro-murder. That's what Okkervil River is all about, people. Seriously.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, and there's no soundcard in my POS machine here at the orifice. =P

Also, I <3 it when you talk about dance music, because how else do you do it besides saying something like "Ferry Corsten bangs yet another blazing 4am floor stormer?!" =P I'm not making fun of you. I'm making fun of the stupid lexicon developed to review progressive house. Gag.

Also, how bout that Tarkovsky, huh? Last one to to the couch with their knitting is a rotten egg!

Thursday, May 03, 2007 12:34:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

I think I was born to write about dance music, with my complete inability to remember the proper names of any of micro-genres! Also, there's the fact that I don't care to remember the names either. For instance, in my imaginary world, all mini tech house is called SPARKLE MUSIC.

Um, yay Tarkovsky!

I WILL FINISH THAT GLOVE TONIGHT. I WILL.

Thursday, May 03, 2007 3:37:00 PM  
Blogger James said...

sadly, Version is substantially less satisfying than originally hoped, although you are correct in assessing "Valerie" to be redorkulously great. Easily the best song ever associated with the word "Zutons".

Thursday, May 03, 2007 3:49:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Eeeew-tons, you mean, James. Eeew-tons.

I admit, I wish that Versions was a bit more even here and there, but in terms of the sheer joy it brings me, no other record this year has even come close yet. Srlsly. I mean, ideally, I would live inside this record, in all its overblown, scratchy retroosity.

Thursday, May 03, 2007 5:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

uh...microhouse, you mean? All Button-Down World of Dan Bell bordering on minimal techno house? With the neat kick and tiny acid squelch? (God, I'm a weirdo.)

Finish that glove, lady.

Thursday, May 03, 2007 5:51:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

yeah, yeah! microhouse! that!

it's totally squelchy with tidy beats! that's it exactly. love that. SPARKLE MUSIC.

oh god, i'm weirder than you. srsly.

Thursday, May 03, 2007 5:59:00 PM  
Blogger Rachel Rhodes said...

Anything for you, ma belle!

Friday, May 04, 2007 12:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for the link, ladies.

You probably know I can't agree with you about that Ronson creature though. Valerie is indeed considerably superior to the (consistently poor) Zutons, but the rest of the album is an utter, unmitigated shitfest. Really, the sort of appalling assault on common decency you should be locked up for playing to children.

But, erm, thanks for the link again. Done that banner m'self, y'know.

Friday, May 04, 2007 5:09:00 AM  
Blogger Hermann Dill said...

This is best shit in sweden for the moment - www.youtube.com/watch?v=57KsQjljj4o

Saturday, May 05, 2007 2:59:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

this is great -- thank you!

Sunday, May 06, 2007 10:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your blog today while assembling 2 4 hour cover shows... Rachel Rhodes is getting some airplay in Maine this weekend. Highly impressed.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 12:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com