The Rich Girls Are Weeping

26 April 2006

Drop it like it's hot, etc. So, a few interesting developments -- Pinkie and I have some sneaky plans up our sleeve that may or may not involve dj sets at a local legendary gay watering hole's happy hour. Wish us luck, yeah?

As a result, I'm listening to old Party Ben Sixx Mixxes, I hadn't realized how much I missed those little half-hour selections of piping hot mashups every week. Even tastemakers need tastemakers, I suppose. Or something.

So, anyway, we played bows + arrows' Click Wheel Five yesterday, in an attempt to make ourselves feel like we might someday end up in the Random Selection section of the Onion AV Club. (BTW, how can you not love Janet Weiss' charmingly wacky tastes? And Eugene Mirman's?) My iPod was apparently in some kind of mood, as the first five songs were rather, well, to paraphrase Ben Gibbard, "Cooler than me." The pod also obviously had iconoclastic singer/songwriters and/or producers on the ... brain.

LCD Soundsystem -- On Repeat

Is Mr. Murphy meowing in this song? Not necessarily one of the best tracks on the self-titled LCD Soundsystem album, this is still a pretty, as they say, "bangin'" track. By which I mean, it reminds me a whole lot of Rinôçérôse's "323 Secondes De Musique Répétitive" transformed into a blistering rant on ... uh, entertaining rich hipster kids. Um, did they even notice that?

Harry Nilsson -- Marching Down Broadway

Harry's mom wrote this very short song. (GUAM!)

Wilderness -- Oh Say Can You See

My goodness, I'm not sure if I'm utterly in love with Wilderness or really, really hate them. I'm going to the show Monday, though -- hopefully all questions will be answered. On the other hand, I can't stop compulsively listening them in an attempt to puzzle this out, and apparently the pod seems to think that's okay. Wilderness reminds me of something, like Slint, I think, meeting Explosions in the Sky (or if Television and The Pixies went on a debauched camping trip and Mrs. John Murphy made everyone s'mores...) with wonderfully distorted prog-holler-emo vocals. Like I said, this is either brilliant or utter shit, I'm really not sure.

John Cale -- You Know More Than I Know

Apparently, the pod is also totally more pretentious than I am, or at the very least, it wanted to remind me that this would make either a great last song of a particularly moody DJ set (Do you like me or not? Circle yes or no, goddamnit...) or be utterly perfect for a crisis montage on a teen soaper, because obviously it's time to introduce some gravity into the lives of teenage indie kids via Cale's early solo career, ca. 1974. (Bonus tidbitlet: Fear, the album on which this song appears, was produced by Brian Eno and Phil Manzanera!)

The Mountain Goats -- Quito

This is easily one of the best Mountain Goats songs of all time (which is rougly, as previously discussed, a list of about 50 songs, due to Mr. Darnielle's massive ouevre), especially since it heads up the 4-hit thrill that closes out We Shall All Be Healed -- "Quito," "Cotton," "Against Pollution," and "Pigs That Ran Straightaway Into The Water, Triumph Of" -- which is why it's a little hard to really feel this song out of context. Don't let that stop you from giving this song a listen, though; the thing that really gets me here is the crystal-clear imagery of the lyric and the deep, dynamic production (courtesy the amazing Messrs. John Vanderslice and Scott Solter) that invokes the early home recordings of Darnielle's career (the faint, distorted cello violin bass -- PPH, is that you? -- perfectly imitates the creaking of that old boombox -- er, I think that's a cello, anyway...). And of course, you should always remember that Quito, Ecuador is, fittingly enough, the only national capital city that lies in the shadow of an active volcano; thus endeth my treatise on the speed-addled fever dream that is this song.

Tonight: Steve Arceri's CD release at Emo's with Kind of Like Spitting, Lemuria, Pompeii, and A Featherweight Burden -- and most assuredly, fun and hijinks and the company of good friends.

ETA: If you haven't heard Ramesh from Voxtrot's impromptu cover of Blondie's "Shayla" over at indieinterviews, you should totally go listen to it now.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how much I hated Wilderness upon first listen! But I think they're actually pretty brilliant. Good five you've got here!

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 7:25:00 PM  
Blogger carolyn rhea drapes aka chacal said...

a while back, there was an article in the nytimes about the algorythm used to shuffle the ipod's music.

Tunes, a Hard Drive And (Just Maybe) a Brain

By RACHEL DODES
Published: August 26, 2004, Thursday

(Stan Ng, Apple Computer's director of iPod product marketing) said that the technology behind the Shuffle function has remained the same since the first-generation iPod. He declined to reveal the algorithm used to generate randomness on Shuffle, but said the only reason that an iPod might seem to know a listener's preferences is that the listener, after all, chose the music in the first place.

[...]Dan Cedarholm, a Web designer in Salem, Mass., insists that his iPod has a predilection for the indie punk band Fugazi. Even though he only has two of the band's albums stored on his ''vintage'' 5-gigabyte device, the band seems to dominate his iPod to a degree wildly disproportionate to the amount of space it occupies on his player's memory, he said.

''It is truly bizarre,'' said Mr. Cedarholm, who no longer likes Fugazi. ''Before, it was this hidden gem, and when I heard them I would be like, 'Oh yeah. Fugazi. Cool.'''[...]

Mr. Cedarholm has contemplated removing all Fugazi songs from his iPod, but he said he fears that ''the baton will get passed'' to some other band, like his beloved Pixies, ''and God help me if I wind up hating them too.''

According to Mr. Ng, there is no way that an iPod can be a ''fan'' of a particular artist or band. Rather, he asserted, the anthropomorphizing of the iPod is ''just another example of how much people love them.''

Thursday, April 27, 2006 12:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice seeing you at Steve's show last night! FYI, the link to Steve's song doesn't quite work...

Thursday, April 27, 2006 9:56:00 AM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Thanks Sara -- I had to remove the link; I copied it from Steve's site and it doesn't seem to be working there either...

Thursday, April 27, 2006 1:17:00 PM  
Blogger Dinah said...

Thank you! Great music. I always love pretending that I'm a teenager on a soap opera.

Thursday, April 27, 2006 1:27:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I found you on elbo.ws while searching for more Wilderness. I am still trying to hash out whether I love or am over them. Anyway, great blog.

Sunday, September 03, 2006 1:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com