The Rich Girls Are Weeping

01 May 2006

Baby, don't you even know what's right? So, in commentary to a number of things that happened over the weekend, I wanted to post my signature karaoke tune, Avril Lavigne's "Complicated" -- but all I have with me is a cover by Death Cab For Cutie frontman Ben Gibbard, that one that's floated around the internet for years. (In a perfect world, I would go home and record myself doing it, and post that for your listening pleasure torture.) Anyway, I don't mind posting Ben Gibbard's cover because it was recorded at the erstwile Caucus Club (now The Velvet Spade -- or was it Le Privilege then? I can't even remember!) at a solo show thrown for TRGAW/DFG pal and fellow blogger (among other talents...) Jim Minor's birthday -- and I was there. If you listen closely, maybe you can hear me shrieking with glee. (I can't believe it, but this was like, what, FOUR years ago? FIVE?)

Ben Gibbard -- Complicated

This song is still so simple and yeah, affecting. I'm not kidding. Seventeen year old girls have written some of the best pop songs of all time. Which is especially effective because most of the time, in matters of the heart, people act like teenagers. Frustrating.

Bonus:
Billie Ray Martin -- Big Tears and Make Up
Wanda Jackson -- Why I'm Walkin'

In related news, Voxtrot is on the Entertainment Weekly Download This! feature today, and is the NPR Song of the Day (penned by TRGAW secret ally Kathryn Yu). I'm amused at the mention in two wildly different media outlets on the same day...

Additionally, there was a piece on MTV News today about the gas-price-busting Peter and the Wolf tour later this summer. They're going via boat -- no really

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was le p then, definitely.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 12:45:00 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

Yeah, I saw Carissa's Wierd do a show in Seattle a few years back and they did a cover of this song, with Ben Gibbard popping out from backstage to sing. On Valentine's Day no less. It was a lot of fun.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 11:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is frustrating!

Friday, May 19, 2006 2:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com