The Rich Girls Are Weeping

26 October 2006

I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried. A break from the regular format today because, well... just because I really couldn't make this stuff up, even if I tried.

***

A few minutes ago, my co-worker, who's a shreddy guitar goddess, and her supervisor, who sits on the other side of the cube wall from me, were trying to figure out a song.

"Cindy! Do you know this?" I think that's what they said; I can't read lips, and my I had my music up too loud.

"Wha?" I said as I peeled off my headphones.

"Do you know that song that goes '[gong noise] Boyyyyyyyyyyyy... [gong noise].'"

"Book of Love. "Boy." It's about a fag-ette who wants to go to the gay bar but can't get in, 'cause she's 'not a boyyyyyyyyyyyyy...'" I sang that last bit.

"Seriously? I didn't know that!" [NB: I only know this because Pinkie told me, actually.]

We proceeded to sing the first verse or so, dorkily.

"Cindy always knows every song!" the guitar goddess chirped to her boss, who was seriously impressed.

That's right. Apparently, I know at least some section of the melody and lyrics of like, every pop song ever written -- and can fake my way through the rest. Surely I should be able to monitize this skill, right? Right?

Book of Love -- Boy
Book of Love -- Boy (Peter Rauhofer Remix)


***

This is probably old news, but John Cale has a blog!

John Cale -- Graham Greene

***

Sometimes the press releases that arrive in the inbox are too good to be true.

Once upon a time, the clotheshorse bassist (always in some variation of leather-and-eyeliner) and the former fashion model/CEO (who spent a lot of time in her signature ads, it seemed, jetsetting about, flanked by men ordered out of International Male catalog) met under a big top tent -- and well, magic happened, or something.

Yes, Nikki Sixx, of Motley Crue and Kelly Gray, the former face (she's been deposed by Angelina Jolie) and former CEO (she's been deposed by a leveraged buyout firm) of design house St John (they, however, are still making overpriced, conservative suits favored by ladies who lunch and get shit done) have started Royal Underground, a "high-end men's clothing collection with a distinctive rockstar vibe," available for purchase, if you're so inclined, at Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, and Bloomingdales this holiday season. (A big step up, to be sure, from Mr. Sixx's previous fashion venture, Dragonfly...)

Needless to say, we think this is terribly, wonderfully excellent news -- seriously, check out the site!

Yes, Mr. Sixx is still the best-preserved member of the Crue; yes, Ms. Gray still models and does fashion executive things at the same time. And, well, it kind of looks like they're stupid in love as well. (Which is really freakin' adorable.) Well, maybe -- they're very careful to gush platonically about each other in the text of the site (probably because Mr. Sixx is probably still in divorce proceedings with former Baywatch babe Donna D'Errico -- she filed in May, citing irreconcilable differences), but the pictures hint at something a little deeper. (As does the PAPER blog...) And, well, Mr. Sixx gave Ms. Gray a Holga camera as a gift, and as we all know -- that's totally a sign of L-U-V love if ever there was one.

Motley Crue -- Kickstart My Heart

***

Yes, they're the buzziest band on the Internet this week -- but can they do it live? You be the judge. To me, they have that same churny, distancing precision machine feel of Bloc Party live -- as if they're having fun, but not really...

Klaxons -- Atlantis to Interzone (Live on the Zane Lowe Show 10/10/06)
Klaxons -- Atlantis to Interzone (XFM Session)


***

I think my pal Jere, who is truly a connoisseur of girl groups the world over, told me about Nylon about a year ago. They're a perfectly polished girl group from ... Iceland! Smashing! Here's their next single, a perfectly polished Eurythmics cover, and an old fave as well.

Nylon -- Sweet Dreams
Nylon -- Dans Dans Dans

8 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Hmm, I'd never put "Boy" in the proper context I guess. But I really don't have a history of paying much attention to lyrics anyway.

Friday, October 27, 2006 2:49:00 AM  
Blogger FiL said...

Oh goodness, I can empathize. During my first hour at the office today I led a contextual chorus of snippets from Neil Diamond, MC Hammer, Duran Duran, and The Commodores. I found myself wondering "How did all this stuff get in my head and WHY is it STILL there??"

But I hope you realize that everything has now been pushed aside and replaced by "I'm not a boyyyyyyy." Methinks it'll stay that way for the rest of the day. On balance, I think that's a good thing...

Friday, October 27, 2006 1:39:00 PM  
Blogger Ian said...

Oh dear, I think the link for "Boy" is broken.

Friday, October 27, 2006 2:41:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Oooh, fixing now. Sorry about that!! I've been afk all day. Seriously.

Friday, October 27, 2006 7:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK so this is weird -- just the other day I was DJing & a guy asked me if I had Klaxons or Nylon(s) or whatever! I bet he reads your blog ladies!

And my favorite Book of Love song is "Modigliani" alas I'm almost always too shy to play it. It's probably the only song I can really say I like from them any more -- "I Touch Roses" & "Boy" end up making me feel really REALLY embarrassed if I listen to them.

Oh & HI GIRLIES!!

Sunday, October 29, 2006 7:52:00 AM  
Blogger Pinkie von Bloom said...

Colleen, why ever do Book of Love make you embarrassed? I find any excuse to play them...except for maybe "Honey Honey." Honestly, I think "Modigliani" is my favorite as well, but "Lullaby" is a pretty close second.

And "HI!" to you too!

Monday, October 30, 2006 3:03:00 PM  
Blogger Richard S. said...

Hi, there, just passing through. I do an ultra-left political blog, but I'm leaning more and more towards music reviews, which I used to do for a few small magazines (a bit less depressing than politics - not much, but a bit).

I've enjoyed reading this one, like most of your taste in music. I don't know why you'd want to be in downtown NYC these days, it's really dead and you *have* to be a rich girl (or boy) to afford to live there. But I do like Other Music and have enjoyed Florent.

Regarding Book of Love... Yes, your interpretation is quite right.

Now for my chance to boast about my brush with fame... I was friends with Susan and Jade from Book of Love (and also knew Ted) back in 1980 - that's right, 1980! - when they had their band called Head Cheese. I was going to U. of Penn, and all of Head Cheese (which was an all-girl band, with Ted merely a sort of long-distance consultant) went to the Philadelphia College of Art, and I met them on the dance floor of a new wave club...among other places. (Actually first met Celeste (who didn't go on to BoL), but I became much better friends with Susan.) Anyway, I hung around their place a lot. It was a strictly platonic thing, but they pretty much knew that this poor then-19-year-old heterosexual was plagued by other thoughts (I wanted to be where the girls were), and they took full advantage of that, making me their roadie for one cruel summer, ordering me around and that sort of thing. Well, it wasn't all that bad, actually. But I'd fallen out with them by the time we all were back in NYC and most of Head Cheese became Book of Love, taking off to their astonishing success.

Ah, memories...

Friday, November 10, 2006 8:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting that great old BoL tune. I do believe that the "boys' bar" that inspired the song in question was the actual Boy Bar, now sadly long departed, but located at 15 St. Mark's Place in NYC's East Village from the late 80s through early 90s. The property is now condos, and the Je'Bon Noodle House: http://www.jebonusa.com

Monday, November 13, 2006 6:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com