The Rich Girls Are Weeping

24 October 2006

Thanks, Blogger, for totally acting up today and making it a general pain to get an update up!

Anyway, some news: We're djing at the Cue house Halloween party on Friday the 27th. Not sure how wise it is to publicize the address, but the details are on their MySpace blog. Jason, Colin, and Clarke's Jesus Lizard cover band (with Toto from Octopus Project), WWJLD? and the Crystal Shits (a Dead Milkmen cover band, OF COURSE!) play, and there will also be hott action from dj Taco as well. We think this may be the annual party behind Star Seeds that attracts about a billion people and usually gets broken up by the cops. Shouldn't I have been up to this kind of thing about ... 10 years ago? I kid, I kid. It should be a good time -- we're super excited. We're not actually dressing up, btw, despite toying with the idea of going as Ann and Nancy Wilson OR as Linda Evans and Joan Collins. We're just going as ourselves, with lots of makeup on. Which, honestly, isn't all that different from our usual state. I don't think I'll be rockin' the false eyelashes though, they give me vertigo! Anyway -- come on out -- should be a total riot. And if we survive, we'll be working merch at The Mountain Goats show Sunday. For reals.

In HIGH (and bizzare) DEMAND today:

The Dead Milkmen -- Bitchin' Camaro
. Catch that extremely meta Crystal Shit reference above. "My favorite cover band, Crystal Shit. Oh. Yeah, they do a Doors show..." Amazingly, this song holds up really well. I was surprised! (info)

Hot Club de Paris -- Hello. I wrote A Song For You Called 'Welcome To The Jungle'. Because um, I needed a song that wasn't too jarring between the one above and the one below. Melancholy, jazzy, quirky spaz rock that's actually quite lovely. Kind of reminds me of the intersection of Hefner, Boy Least Likely To, and Ballboy. This may only make sense to me though. They've really got a hell of a rhythm section, btw, which is always a plus, because sometimes bands like this are a little limp and have a tendency to meander. Not Hot Club de Paris... (MySpace)

Siskid -- The Architect
. I'm not kidding when I tell you this is easily the best piece of minmal techno I've heard this year. Wait, I'm not even really sure I could accurately name all the minimal techno I've heard this year, but whatever -- this is gorgeous. Big slinky bass line and a smooth build -- I know this is going to sound weird, but it makes me think of ... candles? I totally want to hear more from this guy, it's great. (Thx for the tip, Fluokids... This is a different version than the one in their post.) (site)

Human League -- Don't You Want Me (Eric Prydz Remix)
. Nice reworking. You must invite all your friends over and have a barefoot living-room dance party, okay? (As long as you don't have an apartment above the ground floor.) This deserves that, at the very least. (info) (remixer)

The Seedy Seeds -- Earned Average Dance America. Ok, do not come crying to me, indie kids, when this is your new favorite band, but Pitchfork HATES them. Just remember, on that sad day, that we thought they were fun and great first. And so, this song contains the following: hollered boy/girl vocals, a disco laser, a really dorky drum-n-cowbell loop, a banjo, and an accordion, a hot melodic bassline, and, according to the vamp at the end, a slide whistle. Without being annoying about it. Really, this song is kind of like the apocalypse on wheels -- form Cincinnati! If that wasn't descriptive enough, this is defintely for fans of U.S.E. or people who couldn't get ZombieDraculaUSA DraculaZombieUSA's terrific "Thomas Window Paine" out of their heads. (Thx for the tip, PC...) (MySpace)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you dahlink, for da Human League's, don't you want me baby. i'll be sure to ship it over to mj, it's his most favorite ever.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 11:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think it's actually "wwtjld?" because the "the" in "the jesus lizard" is pretty important. and at least according to brister's flyer the other band's name is spelled "krystal shyt."

should be pretty exciting...

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 10:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. you guys have to dress up. djs have to lead by example. you can't tell me that the two of you couldn't whip up something impressive at a moment's notice.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 11:00:00 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Seedy Seeds Forever! Okay, I'll shut up now.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 2:03:00 PM  
Blogger dzusa said...

I ain't complaining but we're DraculaZombieUSA, not the other way around. Cheers!

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 6:48:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

ack, sorry about that, DraculaZombieUSA! my bad!

Thursday, October 26, 2006 12:15:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Stu -- Thanks for the correction. Sometimes I get these files with no provenience or context and just have to trust the file names are the whole story!

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 3:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com