The Rich Girls Are Weeping

06 February 2007

So, I was watching the tail end of Priscilla Queen of the Desert on the cable, and when it was over (and still still humming "Mamma Mia"), I flipped ahead a few channels and found a documentary about transgendered people around the world (coincidental?). I just happened to see the segment on Thai kathoey (aka "ladyboys"). Seeking the answer to some questions about the kathoey culture, I discovered (via the Wikipedia entry on the subject) that in late 2006 Sony Entertainment Thailand 'created' the first all "newhalf" (that is, post-op transexual) Thai ladyboy band. Yep. They're called Venus Flytrap. (And the best part? They all have Spice Girl-esque appellations.)



Venus Flytrap -- Visa for Love
(...dig that like, quadruple entendre!)

I just though you might like to know that. Because that's what I'm here for.

Slightly related (and cited as a major influence on Venus Flytrap) -- Thai-American pop sensation Tata Young. This song is actually kind of ... charming. No, really!



Tata Young -- "Sexy, Naughty, Bitchy"

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I hope people don't confuse Tata Young as being a Ladyboy....I'm a good friend of her Dad's for 20 years and use to hold Tata for him upon occasion while he was busy playing cards or rolling dice (but that's another story.)The girl is real talented and although I'm a Brooklyn , N.Y. rock&roller....the lady has a great voice and is very entertaining....so I hope no one confuses her with the Ladyboys of Venus Flytrap ! thewizardofrockandroll.blogspot.com

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, some thai ladyboys're really talanted people. If you want to know more about their life you can visit this web site: meetladyboy.com

And I can agree with bibgbill Tata Young and Sek Loso are the best thai singers.

Friday, April 06, 2007 9:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com