The Rich Girls Are Weeping

23 January 2007

Sorry we've been gone so long, things have been a little crazy. I started my new job yesterday, so there's that. Plus, after a bit of a hiatus, we're out and about again. Last Wednesday I caught Andrew Bird at the Bowery Ballroom. It's always hard to see a show chock-full of new songs when you haven't heard the album yet, but the new stuff seemed to go over well with the crowd, even if I found it a bit drone-y and bordering on (really, I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here) jam band business. (We have a sneaking suspicion this is due to collaborative efforts with his new drummer (and Antikon mainstay) Dosh.) Anyway please, please don't get us started on the dreadful opening act, John Southworth, whose songs are an unlistenable melange of Nilsson + Dylan with the dippiest lyrics ever. Appropriately, Mr. Southworth (don't confuse him with the uh, saint of the same name) has a residency at Piano's upstairs starting this week and running through February (*cough*), should you be interested in checking out the auditory torture. Mr. Bird is playing around the world currently; Armchair Apocrypha is out March 31.

Pinkie's gonna check in later and tell you all about her experience seeing My Brightest Diamond, some dudes who played the shit out of some Charles Ives, and a guy with a Sondheim-esque Craigslist song cycle. I caught the tail end of this show, and was completely blown away by the My Brightest Diamond experience. Ms. Worden is also currently out and about internationally (see site for dates), but will be back stateside opening for The Decemberists this spring.

Hopefully, Pinkie will also speak to the grand time we had checking out German chanteuse Micaela Leon at Don't Tell Mama before we slogged back downtown to catch Blacklist and The Bellmer Dolls at the skeeve-tastic Crash Mansion last Friday.

Also, you may have noticed, to your right, a little tip jar that's part of the previously mentioned Rich Girls Are Weeping Capital Campaign 2007. Give generously and often! Seriously, thanks for your support over the past year -- we love bringing you this site and have some changes in the works that will be implemented over the next few months or so.

A little digression, completely unrelated: I enjoy watching people listen to their iPods (or other digital music players) on my commute into town. Today, the soundtrack to my early morning was Loose Joints, Herb Alpert, MIA, The Hourly Radio, and Serge Gainsbourg. (I love the shuffle function!) Do you commute via pubtrans? What was on your headphones today? Alternatively, what's on your car stereo?

Here's some items for your enjoyment that have been moldering on the server for like, a month:

Sally Shapiro -- I'll Be By Your Side (MarfloW Version) [myspace] [remixer]

Spektrum -- Don't Be Shy (Speakerjunk Remix) [myspace] [remixer]

M.Craft -- You Are The Music (Playgroup Remix)
[myspace] [remixer]

Freezepop -- Get Ready 2 Rokk (For Those About 2 Rokk Mix) [myspace]

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Pinkie von Bloom said...

Is there some sort of rift in the universe, or are we really like Siamese twins who've been separated but are still in each other's heads all the time? I listed to THR too, but I usually lay off the Tijuana Brass, ju-no?

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 3:09:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

I think our iPods share a brain too!! Now, that is scary. (;

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 3:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't stop listening to Lifter Puller!! Ever since I saw The Hold Steady in November, when I came home that night and finally downloaded Fiestas + Fiascos from emusic the next day at work. And then I downloaded Soft Rock. And then I scoured the internet to find anything else I could get my little hard drive on. Just when I think I'm wearing one song out, another one gets stuck in my craw!

I mean, The Hold Steady live completely blew me away, but I'd have to say I strongly prefer the CD output of Lifter Puller. Seriously, listening to F+F is like reading a densely populated book, watching a fine film noir made in the 1990s, and listening to some bitchin' artsy punk rock ... ALL AT THE SAME TIME! it's incredible, really.

Also, MF Doom's "Hoe Cakes." Whenever LP's not on. It's too damn short, though.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 9:11:00 PM  
Blogger carolyn rhea drapes aka chacal said...

as a bird lover, i noticed this blurb in the new yorker by ms. frere-jones. for me, she missed the mark a bit, planet alignment or not. it is always good to remember the art of the 03:00 minute song.

as someone revisiting s&g, it is good to remember that the sounds of silence clocked in just over the mark- 3:09, and hazy shade of winter, a powerful and succinct 2:17.

Bird’s ambitions place him in a rough alliance with other artists who are writing long, complex compositions, such as Sufjan Stevens and Joanna Newsom. Perhaps they are enlarging their songs in response to a world that has been dwarfing the charms of a three-minute single. Or perhaps they all know about the planetary alignment that’s due in 2008.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 12:02:00 AM  
Blogger carolyn rhea drapes aka chacal said...

among the songs i heard on my shuffle 2day:

chicago ..... sufjan stevens;
fake palindromes ..... andrew bird;
cecilia ..... simon and garfunkel;
mean mister mustard ..... the beatles;
straight, no chaser ..... thelonious monk;
didn't leave nobody but the baby ..... emmylou harris, alison krauss, gillian welch;
homeward bound ..... simon and garfunkel;
mozzarella rag ..... 8 1/2 souvenirs feat. kathy kise (thanks to cindy!);
america ..... simon and garfunkel;
here, there, & everywhere ..... the beatles;
the book of right-on ..... joanna newsom; cathedrals ..... jump little children.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 12:33:00 AM  
Blogger d said...

morning selections from the shuffle:

Let it All Pass - Dead Meadow
I'm Not Angry - Elvis Costello
Balloon Ranger - Ane Brun
Sweet Transvestite - Anthony Steward Head (WTF?)
Tell Her No - The Zombies
Unison (Live) - Bell
You + I Vs. The World - MAKE-UP

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 10:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh whatever, d. You know you still have it for Giles.

I don't use my shuffle feature on my iPod. This morning? More cabaret. There's something relaxing about seeing a commute through jazz standards and floor shows. Alas, there are no Busby Berkley dreams. =P

My allergy injection site thingos itch!!!!

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 12:48:00 PM  
Blogger d said...

Actually, Madame Von Bloom, I am more of a Spike girl. I blame the theater geek part of me that I suppress.

Thursday, January 25, 2007 11:20:00 AM  
Blogger Andy Fenwick said...

Sara - wanna longer version of "Hoe Cakes?" Look for the Afros album from the 80s - a one-off semi parody band with members of De la and maybe KMD, meaning MF Doom in his childhood.

Thursday, January 25, 2007 11:12:00 PM  
Blogger Andy Fenwick said...

Ok: the morning commute shuffle:

New !!!
New Aereogramme
Jay Reatard
Deerhunter's 'Cryptograms' (I cannot explain how good this is; holy shit)
Outrageous Cherry's cover of Television's "days"
the Grinderman album
Sinoia Caves
Hal Hartley soundtrack music
losta Wire, albums 2-5
Tremendous Fucking's "Just Like Burt Fucking Reynolds" (best band name and song name of last two years)

What can I say, I do alot of walking.

And for some reason, Black Sabbath's "Mob Rules" sounds freakishly awesome while walking to the subway. Yeah, I know it's Dio-sabbath, but this album is exactly what The Sword and Big Business et al are listening to right now - the rhtymn section sounds like the MC5 in earphones, and Dio's opening lines, although a stupid Medieval allusion (what else?), also fit in this day and age in nyc: "close the city and/tell the people that/something's coming to call." Good christ, it's a political song about terrorism hysteria. But probably really about the Black Death. Or the Sopranos.

Thursday, January 25, 2007 11:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com