The Rich Girls Are Weeping

06 March 2007

We're staying up late at TRGAW HQ tonight -- it's cold and we stayed in. We just watched Marie Antoinette and now we're listening to The Knife and discussing its relation to vintage Detroit Techno. Pinkie is distraught that she hadn't actually heard The Knife until this exact moment in time. I'm reminding her that Mr Plunkett and I told her several months ago that she would like it. *ahem*

We're playing this game because Lo Sunbeam, my little sister, is visiting and obliging us use of her Ruckus account. We've hit the high points of the TGRAW favorites, including the new Bloc Party, The Postal Service, The Stills, Goldfrapp (or, as Lo dubbed them, Goldfarp), Trail of Dead. We are kind of surprised to find a service targeting college students doesn't seem to have an agreement yet with our favorite Beggars Group and other high-profile indies like Merge and Secretly Canadian. Hint, hint y'all. The kids at Michigan State and all the other colleges out the need your delicious music offerings. Stat. I mean, we can't force Lo to listen to Spoon, The Arcade Fire or Interpol -- or Calla or The Double or Celebration, and there's something clearly wrong with that.

I think the only thing she's liked so far that we recommended was Jeff Buckley -- then again, she already knew his cover of "Hallelujah."

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Political.Asylum said...

The Sarcastic Idiocy Forum reminds you that Barbaro died for your sins.

http://www.thesif.net/SIF/index.php?&act=idx

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 12:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, the Knife. It is a natural being on Mute, I bet Daniel Miller heard it and thought "that is the record I always wanted to make!" Takes me back to the days of Thomas Leer, Robert Rental, early Depeche Mode, Soft Cell etc.

Anyway, getting ready for this thing called SXSW where some bands come to town and UK folks eat these things called "Tay Coes"

Thursday, March 08, 2007 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger Jeff D said...

Damn, I thought it was just me, every time I hear "Heartbeats" I think of Cybotron's "Clear"!

Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:52:00 PM  
Blogger Andy Fenwick said...

Everytime I hear the Knife, I hear Samantha Fox. That's not a joke.

The Knife gets my vote for hoax of the century, although the century's young.

I also hear Melissa Manchester, as well as Frida's "There's Something Going On" and not just cause she's Swedish.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com