The Rich Girls Are Weeping

26 January 2006

Brian Eno in the collective consciousness. I went to see Shearwater (with Mi and L'au and Akron/Family -- who I didn't stay for -- not my thing) at Emo's last night. They have a new album coming out in May and this was the first show they'd played out in quite some time -- but you'd never know it. They sounded just fantastic, which bodes excellent for their upcoming tour dates and SXSW appearance. "Turn Your Transmitters Off" has a new name now (which I can't remember) as well as a slick New Wave drum part that made me squeal with delight and just completely blew me away. But what really made me happy was that they pulled out an unexpected and wicked (if slightly and understandably shaky as they'd learnt it two days ago) cover of Brian Eno's "Baby's On Fire."

The song is everywhere lately, it seems! When I was paying for my double iced latte at my favorite coffee shop last weekend (Jo's on South Congress), I heard those unmistakable first few bars of cascading drums over the sound system, and without a second thought, just started singing along as I finished the transaction, much to the amusement of the baristas and the people in line with me. I was slightly mortifed, but also amazed that the song is so imbedded in my brain that I would just start singing along like that -- in public. I suppose I shouldn't be that surprised -- sometimes I think that
Here Come the Warm Jets is my favorite record of all time. I mean, I did name this blog after the lyrics of one of the songs on the album and all.

As an added bonus, I'm including the equally brilliant "Needle in the Camel's Eye," which
Calla covered with amazing aplomb on their last tour. I saw them do it twice, locally and at the Bowery Ballroom in NYC, and both times there I couldn't help but giggle every time bassist Pete Gannon would play that rollicking bass line with the most amazingly satisfied look on his face.

Brian Eno -- Baby's on Fire

Brian Eno -- Needles in the Camel's Eye

(If you don't have
Here Come the Warm Jets, you totally need a copy. And probably one of Another Green World and Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) as well. Just sayin'.)

Oh, and speaking of covers, the Four Tet cover of Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" over at Rock Insider has totally made my day. Wow.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

whenever that album comes up i can't help but hear a certain speech-impedimented former acquaintance saying "hewe come the wawm jets." almost all the people and things she really loved had r's in their names.

Thursday, January 26, 2006 12:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Needle in the Camel's Eye has to be one of my favorite songs of all time.

So, what do you think about the rumors that Eno's going to take part in the recording of a new Roxy Music album?

Thursday, January 26, 2006 2:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand that the Eno and Roxy are in the studio even as I type. 'Baby's On Fire' features Bob Fripp's best ever guitar solo. Much as I love King Crimson Fripp's guitar playing was much better on other people's albums.

Thursday, January 26, 2006 2:21:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

The thought of the Amazing Bri/yan Show back together brings happy, happy tears to my eyes. Seriously. Glad to hear that the plans for a recollaboration are definite!

That guitar solo on "Baby's On Fire" totally gets me, every time. Squalling, squalling gorgeousness.

Thursday, January 26, 2006 2:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Transmitters" now = "Red Sea, Black Sea"

So jealous you got to go to the show, so happy that it was a good one!

Thursday, January 26, 2006 2:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget the underrated Wrong Way Up with John Cale. Some real Eno pop gems on there.

Friday, January 27, 2006 11:22:00 AM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

L-train: I kind of like the old title better, even if I found in totally impossible to say!

Monday, January 30, 2006 2:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking to that Shearwater mp3 site ... ever since you posted "Turn Your Transmitters Off" I've been totally obsessed and dying to hear more! Do you know if they're touring anytime soon and if so, will they be venturing to the Southeastern US? Also, do they have an official website?

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 5:19:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Sara: Glad I you liked Shearwater! They will be touring probably late spring/early summer, I think -- when the album comes out. Their official site is at http://www.jound.com/shearwater

Saturday, February 11, 2006 1:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to the new Roxy Music album. This morning I posted some thoughts about the first Roxy Music album on my blog Mere Words. Enjoy.

Thursday, March 16, 2006 11:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com