The Rich Girls Are Weeping

23 June 2006

I am totally goofing off today. Part of it is that I started looking at CuteOverload -- and when that happens, I just get obsessed with looking for EVEN MORE cute pictures of animals -- so I ended up over on Flickr and ... You know how it is. Sometimes the internet is just freakin' evil, fo' reals.

So, I've been meaning to post these for a few days -- for no other reason than that they're great. Ladies and gents, a handful of Madonna covers, just for your Friday. (Unfortunately, I do not have any Ciccone Youth with me... I'm sorry!)

Heaven 17 -- Holiday
Ofra Haza -- Open Your Heart
Marilyn Manson KMFDM -- Material Girl (nb -- file name corrected, but ID3 tags not updated.)
Matthew Sweet -- Justify My Love (live)
The Rondelles -- Like A Prayer
The String Quartet -- Ray of Light
(ganked from Fluxblog back in September, it's just too good not to share again...)

And, since I'm kind of on a nostalgia/covers trip, or something: You know about Centro-matic (and to a certain extent, The Toadies) precedecessor Funland (which, at one point was known as Melt), right? Oh, you guys! Funland was like, TOTALLY the best ever. Thx to my co-worker aa for having this song in his iTunes collection! I need to get my hands on more.

Funland -- Obligatory Cover (For The Kids) [Air Supply's Making Love Out Of Nothing At All]

Ok, have a good weekend!
(See you tonight at Emo's Corner Bar? RAD!)

11 Comments:

Blogger Pinkie von Bloom said...

OMFG. you know exactly how long i've been looking for that lame air supply cover. somewhere, in the wilds of east texas, probably under my bed at my parents' house, is a funland cassette...

Friday, June 23, 2006 4:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI
That is not Marilyn Manson covering Madonna's "Material Girl" it's KMFDM.

Friday, June 23, 2006 4:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you can get hold of it, you should try & add teenage fanclub's version of "like a virgin" - it's pretty great.

Friday, June 23, 2006 5:11:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

mr. blonde -- wow, it's like an internet game of telephone. i don't know where i got that file originally, but the correction has been made. thank you!!

Friday, June 23, 2006 5:26:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

pinkie: I KNOW! i thought you'd appreciate it. (;

Friday, June 23, 2006 5:26:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

karen: i will totally try and track that down, i didn't know they covered it!

Friday, June 23, 2006 5:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Southside Johnny (yes, that Southside Johnny) once performed "Like a Virgin" on Vin Scelsa's "Idiot's Delight" radio show once in the 90's. Pretty good, from what I remember, and I'm not much of a fan. (Of SJ, I mean).

Friday, June 23, 2006 9:31:00 PM  
Blogger FiL said...

Oh Cindy, you've inspired me. I've just posted both Ciccone Youth's 'Get Into The Groove(y)' and Teenage Fanclub's 'Like A Virgin' round my place - please, do drop by. You're name-checked, natch!!

I also recall that Lords of the New Church did a rather fun cover of 'Virgin.'

Ciccone FiL

Saturday, June 24, 2006 5:56:00 AM  
Blogger Andy Fenwick said...

I've always been partial to John Wesley Harding's cover of 'Like A Prayer' -- I'll have to dig it up sometime soon ...

Monday, June 26, 2006 12:33:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Mr. Parnell: I am embarassed to have forgotten Wes' cover -- I have it around here somewhere...

Monday, June 26, 2006 5:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sonic Youth (aka Ciccone Youth)'s "Into The Groove(y)" cover of Madonna is wicked. And their cover of the Carpenters' "Superstar" is even better.

BTW, that Funland song also contains a section of Air Supply's "Lost In Love".

Monday, January 08, 2007 3:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com