The Rich Girls Are Weeping

25 September 2006

Hand-plucked from the overstuffed email-box. But, I mean, like, we'd totally post about this band even if we didn't get a press release about them. Really!

We saw Daylight's for the Birds open for The Duke Spirit in NYC a few months ago, and for Calla a few months before that, and were completely charmed with their lovely dark and atmospheric material. We were both fans of On!Air!Library!, and were very pleased to see that this particular spinoff project was progressing nicely. DFTB's debut album, Trouble Everywhere (recorded with Steve Revette -- who's done great work with TRGAW supergigantic #1 faves -- like The Double, among others), is out 10/31/2006; here's the first two tracks, and there's more at the band's MySpace page.

Daylight's for the Birds -- To No One
Daylight's for the Birds -- Worlds Away


Memory jog:
On!Air!Library! -- Bread
On!Air!Library! -- Feb.


Mea culpa: I totally forgot to mention that our fave NYC gloomcookie gawth band Blacklist played uberhipster event Stolen Transmission in NYC last Thursday. 'Bout three years ago, we were still buying records from Blacklist's guitarist Jimmy at the long-gone 33 Degrees -- and if we'd told him that his little goth band would be playing at Ultragrrl's party at a club owned by the folks who brought you Darkroom, he probably would have cut us off completely and told us to get out of Dan's store. Thank goodness he can't ban us for life from good ol' 33 Degs. anymore (though, in hindsight, that might have been good for our budgets!). If you missed that Stolen Transmission show, catch Blacklist at the Knitting Factory Oct. 4, or at the CMJ Opening Party on Oct. 31 at Magnetic Field in the BKLYN.

Nuh-uh: You guys, that Swan Lake track that Stereogum posted is ridiculously, hideously bad. Aggh!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys, that Swan Lake track that Stereogum posted is ridiculously, hideously bad. Aggh!

Care to elaborate? I usually agree with you about t3h hideous, so I'd like to hear your thoughts about this one.

I suppose it's a good thing that I couldn't care less about Swan Lake right now. I thought I wouldn't mind the [inevitable] hype, but apparently I do. The album's probably going to be the most over-rated thing since, uh, Radiohead.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 3:43:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

I should probably listen to it off of headphones, but I found the song to be just a smidge too scattered and frenetic for my tastes. Well, that and it featured Bejar's vocals, which I'm really over. It's basically a Destroyer song that's been Frog Eyes'd AND Wolf Parade'd. We know that Destroyer + Frog Eyes is okay -- but all three at once is kind of like eating a pint of Godiva ice cream in one sitting. Delicous at first, but then kinda sick-making.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 4:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha. Love that analogy.

I like Carey Mercer and Spencer Krug, so I do hope that album doesn't suck. I don't mind Bejar, but if Swan Lake is going to be Destroyer + some FE & WP, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like it.

Maybe I'll download the song at some point, but there are so many better things on the Internet right now -- the Milan Fashion Week coverage, for instance. :)

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 6:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com