The Rich Girls Are Weeping

25 October 2006

Part The Second, In HIGH (but brief) DEMAND today (this is what happens when you spend hours in meetings):

Pulp -- Wishful Thinking (Peel Session, 11 July 1981). Read all about that fateful day here. (even more info)

Roxy Music -- Angel Eyes (Kaos from Berlin Mix, Re-Edit by Frank Tope & Dean Rudland). This song has the BEST harp glissando of all time. Seriously. And -- sooner or later, apparently, everything gets remixed. From the forthcoming Roxy remix project. (info) (remixer)

Micah P. Hinson and The Opera Circuit -- Letter from Huntsville. Short, sweet, to the point -- a great "I can't take it anymore, I've gotta get the fuck out of here" song -- the only problem is like, he's in jail. Straight outta that churchy berg of Abilene, Texas, this one's especially for Pinkie -- 'cause she's from Huntsville. I love that Abilene is this weird nexus of earthy and dark banjo, strings, synths, and saxophone-steeped 21st century outlaw music (in that way that way freaky folker Devendra Banhart will never quite grasp, despite his love of Townes Van Zandt). In addition to Mr. Hinson, see also half of The Earlies -- and the intersection of the two, The Late Cord. (MySpace)

Asobi Seksu -- Goodbye. Simply put, this song rules, and I've been listening to it a lot lately. It might be the best one I've heard this year, even. No. Really. And when it's all said and done, I think Citrus is the second serious contender (after Shearwater, natch) for my favorite record of the year. (site)

Gang of Four -- Natural's Not in It. OMG I CANNOT GET THIS SONG OUT OF MY HEAD. I'm seriously almost peeved with Sofia Coppola now; used in the obvs. Sally Potter-influenced credit sequence to Marie Antoinette. (We'll get sick of this eventually. Maybe. Remind me to show you my dorky air-drums action for this song sometime.) (info)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good call on "Goodbye" by Asobi Seksu. That's my favorite song on Citrus. It's just such a good pop song. It almost feels like it could be an old hit from the 80's, in the very best way.

Thursday, October 26, 2006 3:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com