The Rich Girls Are Weeping

13 October 2006

Oh lordy, I'm tired and kind of bummed out. Too many boring, dull details to get into here -- but hey, we did have fun last night -- especially as everywhere we went had free drinks and scintillating conversation. Quote of the evening? "I'm a Tori Amos fan, I don't fear your abuse," from the e'er quotable Achtung Baby!. (And why is it that we only ever see him at the Beauty Bar anyway?) Clearly the young man who asked us about Ani DiFranco last week cannot take our abuse, and we're still sorry about that (sort of, but we are glad Righteous Babe puts out Andrew Bird's records...). But no amount of self-indulgent singer-songwriter abuse training could prepare the generally unflappable Mr. Luna for how we feel about gamers, programmers, and people who refer to watching TV as a "hobby" or use the word "fandom." You could say we just have a teensy bit of baggage in that department.

Speaking of amusing bon mots, there was a sign on one of the coffeemakers in the breakroom today that read: DO NOT USE. THIS WAS ON FIRE. REALLY. No, I didn't write that notice. Really!

Of interest: What Junior Boys and Peter and the Wolf are listening to. I love features like this...

So, what's better than dancing zombies? Nothing, really -- save zombies being pelted with Halloween candy, perhaps. Viz.: The new video for Tilly and the Wall's "Sing Songs Along" (via Stereogum).



And, while I'm on the subject, my other favorite video of late is the practically ancient one for The Blood Arm's "Say Yes," which is basically ... All That Jazz and A Chorus Line infused with twinkies and darkness. Seriously. (via Big Stereo)




In HIGH DEMAND Today:

Datarock -- Fa Fa Fa (Princess Superstar NYC Dirty Disco Rabbit Pearl Remix). Well, that's a mouthful. And quite a fine remix. (Myspace) (Princess Superstar)

My My -- Butterflies & Zebras (John Dahlbäck Remix). Because sometimes you just want to dance and dance and dance and dance.... (Myspace) (John Dahlbäck)

Rufus Wainwright -- Banks of the Wabash. Ancient rarity -- I've been looking for a clean copy of this for years. Literally. Years. (site)

Suburban Kids With Biblical Names -- Trees & Squirrels. Again with the adorable Swede-pop. This is the aural equivalent of Cute Overload. (Myspace)

Ivy League -- Crown of Love (Arcade Fire cover). (link removed at request of management) Apparently, I live under a rock -- I totally missed this cover when the blogger kids were freaking over it a while back. Measured and pretty; I can't decide if this is utterly bloodless or sublime. Kinda like the aural equivalent of a Wes Anderson movie, it's growing on me. (Sorry, I'm big on the analogies today.) (site)

CSS -- Let's Make Love And Listen To Death From Above (Instrumental). Your bonus, but only because I like you, so go make me a good mashup, okay? Okay! (Myspace)


Have a good weekend!!!

13 Comments:

Blogger Pinkie von Bloom said...

princess superstar only dreams of being as dirty as D and i are after several cocktails and anything involving joan crawford, sal mineo, or giorgio moroder. then again, we aren't fit for public exposure because we're just...well...mean. strictly dickly, QED.

Friday, October 13, 2006 6:36:00 PM  
Blogger James said...

Hey, ladies, the link on that My My track is broken. Please fix it, as I need to hear this.

Friday, October 13, 2006 6:43:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Oy, it was the umlaut. Sorry about that! It's working now. :D

And, Pinkie -- it's true. Y'awls are just wrong. I wouldn't have you any other way. (;

Friday, October 13, 2006 7:11:00 PM  
Blogger marathonpacks said...

as a lifelong HOOSIER, thanks so much for the Rufus song! it's going on a mix TONITE.

Friday, October 13, 2006 8:57:00 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

I think we should all only use CSS-speak for the rest of the year.

You make me crazy with love! I open my mouth and say nothing untrue!

Saturday, October 14, 2006 11:03:00 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

achtungbaby!!! Mr. Luna is for sure e'er quotable... he is the best person in the world!!!! I miss him terribly and I am pissed that Austin gets him and Boston doesn't!!! I've known him forever and let me tell you... the Beauty Bar is lucky to be graced with his presence. Even if that is the only place he shows.

Saturday, October 14, 2006 2:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew Bird just left Righteous Babe.

Saturday, October 14, 2006 4:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the site, and was wondering if you ladies would mind uploading a few tracks.

Some of the MP3 links on the Labrador site aren't working, and I can't find them elsewhere:

Waltz for Debbie - Once Upon a Time
Wan Light - Airborn
Wan Light - Two Words Away

Please & thanks!

Saturday, October 14, 2006 9:19:00 PM  
Blogger John said...

I must live under a rock, too. Thanks for the Ivy League. But now for some reason I can't help but imagine Peter, Paul and Mary, or the Carpenters, singing that song long ago.

Monday, October 16, 2006 12:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's Make Love should be mashed with STD Dance by Ima Robot

Monday, October 16, 2006 2:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Golden Palaminos with Nicole is the only GP I like, but its one of my favorite spoken word works ever, the whole album just transports you to a really dark place. Its greatness.

- Iconoclast

Monday, October 16, 2006 11:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh! Rufus! I actually have the soundtrack that song came from, if you need a better copy. There's also some crazy french songs on the soundtrack as well.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 3:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think i have listened to that PS remix of Fa Fa Fa 17 times today.
<333

Friday, November 10, 2006 11:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com