The Rich Girls Are Weeping

29 December 2005

Here's something novel -- four more Christmas-y songs. Yes, yes -- I know. It's time for some forward New Year's thinking and 2005 recapping and Christmas is so, well, earlier this week. Well, damn the hipsters and the trends, I say it's okay to listen to Christmas-themed songs until Epiphany, which is so totally next Friday.

Okkervil River -- Listening To Otis Redding At Home During Christmas.

I spent time Monday and Tuesday going through boxes of my things still lurking in my parents' garage. It's been nearly 12 years since I left home! I didn't find the things I was looking for (a few key mix tapes from high school), but I did find lots of long-forgotten photos and letters and mementoes.
(Okkervil River's website. Buy Don't Fall In Love With Everyone You See @ Insound.)

Have some melancholy tinged with hope, sorta:

Neko Case -- Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis.
Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers -- Hard Candy Christmas.
One of my best friends from childhood had her first baby the day after Christmas (congrats, Auggie & welcome to you, Lucas!); my best friend from college is pregnant with her second child (Margot, I can't wait to meet you!). I basically trashed what amounted to being my starter marriage this year; my current bestest gal pal is getting a real divorce. But it's all gonna be okay, for all of us. I don't mean to give the impression that my holidays were depressing, they were anything but!
(Buy New Coat of Paint: The Songs of Tom Waits @ Insound.)
(Buy Once Upon a Christmas @ Amazon.)

And, as a palate-cleanser, here's some high camp:

Liza Minnelli & Alan Cumming -- Baby, It's Cold Outside.
There's nothing I can say here, nothing. Except that this may be the most brilliant pairing for a novelty Holiday duet ever.
(Buy Broadway Cares -- Home for the Holidays @ Amazon.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com