The Rich Girls Are Weeping

07 February 2006

Things seen & loved in NYC: Celebration. (Third time 'round seeing them, second in NYC. Fantastic as ever.) The National. (Goosebumps & love. Could this band hold a bigger piece of my heart? Probably not.) (However, in general, am I allowed to say that the PLUG Awards show was kind of disappointing? Yes, I think so. I'm afraid I just don't get Aziz Ansari at all. Is he supposed to be amusing?) Daylight's for the Birds. (Delicious shimmery sweet and bleak pop.) The Boggs. (Sharp and sassy; love that rhythm section.) Calla. (Third time seen in as many months, second in NYC. Who knew the old lady bleacher seats at Northsix were where to see and be seen? Well, they are. But, whatever, people -- I LOVE THIS BAND, and why aren't they insanely famous yet? See also: The National. Can someone get on that?) Walk the Line (On the plane, for free -- with more tears, yet again.)

Also grand -- hearing Lightning Bolt (not sure how they missed my notice for so long, maybe it's that whole East Coast art rock thing) for the first time on an iPod on a rainy afternoon at Odessa and later in the conversation kvelling over The Knife (whatevs, Fiery Furnaces, your 15 minutes were so up two years ago). Also, you need to hear MC Copulation. No, really. Yes, yes you do.

Oh! I almost forgot to mention meeting Mr. Fluxblog himself. That was a pleasant surprise.

Anyway, there was no post yesterday because I also ended up having a travel adventure that entailed leaving twice -- long story, but suffice it to say, it didn't seem like a good idea to fly after nearly five hours of delays and a malfunctioning plane. Going back to Manhattan and attending a wonderfully grand and notorious Sunday night loathsome hipster party, charming the bartender, buying shots for the (totally dorky and pretty) DJ, and complimenting a shy boy's deliciously liquid brown eyes three times did seem like (and was) perhaps one of the best ideas ever.

So, back to normal posting later today or tomorrow. I need some serious recovery time, you know -- it's exhausting being me. And I really must spend some quality time getting up close and personal with my advances of the new Quasi and Crystal Skulls records.

Being gone for nearly a week is almost a lifetime in the music blogger world. Any of-the-moment, flash-in-the-pan bands I need to know about?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

buying shots for the (totally dorky and pretty) DJ

i'd like to register that he's heartbreakingly beautiful. and i don't even care who hears me say that.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 2:07:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

I'm sure he knows you feel that way. And if he doesn't -- well, someone should totally direct him to this coversation.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 6:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com