The Rich Girls Are Weeping

08 March 2006

Jingle jangle. I think I've mentioned this before, I think. I love sleighbells. I was just minding my own business, trying to figure out the new executive structure at Six Flags and listening to New Order's "Regret" and for a few seconds, there was the lovely clamor of sleighbells at the 2:54 mark for about ... 5 measures.

New Order -- Regret

Is it just me, or does a little tidbit of a moment in a song like that totally crystallize its perfection? I have another example of that, but it's really embarassing -- it's on a Wrens song, naturally. Here's one that's less so, sort of -- the tiny counterpunctual skritch-tink of the cymbal on Interpol's "NYC;" it always makes me think of the sound the traffic lights make when they change if you're standing close enough to the switcher, or the orderly ting of the bell for requested stops on a crosstown bus. So, now that I've burdened you with that sentimental claptrap, you must tell me your favorites. (And no, mentioning New Order and the I-word in the same post was totally conincidental, I swear.)

Interpol -- NYC

I kind of have a crush on a miscellaneous percussion in general these days, since the Maneja Beto show last week; I profiled them for See You in the Pit yesterday, and they're getting all kinds of buzz from people slogging through the SXSW bittorrent, which is rad -- they're one of the best live bands, one of the best bands period, in Austin right now.

Maneja Beto -- Cuidadano

3 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

I know there's a ton, but what just lept to mind was that crazy clang of a belltower like 3/4 of the way through "Let's Call It Love" by Sleater-Kinney. From that moment on it's like class was dismissed from the song, and things were about to get rowdy.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 5:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

listen to world leader pretend for sleigh bells

Saturday, March 18, 2006 1:19:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Hrm. I'm really not that into World Leader Pretend, mostly due to a bad experience seeing them at SXSW 2005...

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 12:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com