The Rich Girls Are Weeping

26 May 2006

Hold on -- wear your headphones, and I'll whisper you the code. It goes a little like this: CPL593H // 365-750 // 19-20-20 //16-16-6. Oh, sometimes I'm too odd and clever for my own good.

Roxy Music -- Remake/Remodel [info]
Giant Drag -- Kevin Is Gay [myspace page]
The Grates -- 19-20-20 (radio edit, sorry -- it's all I had on this machine) [myspace page]
The Drips -- 16, 16, Six [myspace page]


I spent a good long while looking at myself in the mirror last night after I got home from Emo's, safely delivered by a much-less polluted Pinkie (thanks, dollface!). Please don't think I was lost in drunken ruminations. I looked at myself for a good long while and thought, "Yes, you have arrived." And I welcomed myself to the rest of my life. I'm officially thirty, and I'm (still kinda) hungover. (Oh yes, and! Giant Drag was fantastic, even if their set was too short. Additionally, thanks to everyone who came out and made my birthday a fantastic day!)

In other news: I would like to become an Art Brut franchise, please. Also, this is exactly the kind of music journalism I universally cannot stand -- the "painfully obscure top 10 list of which you, the reader, might recognize 20% of the obscure and forgotten artists or songs discussed" -- in case you were wondering. It was like when one of my co-workers was complaining in a meeting about all his "issues" with the _________ that we have here at _________. He rambled for about five minutes until I finally was like, "Dude, WHO CARES?" (Yes, I actually said that, quel professional, huh? I was just so sick of his whining.) Features like the one linked above evoke the same kind of reaction from me. Then again, I'm sure that I've been guilty of wallowing in equally dull esoterica from time to time.

You know, like my pursuit of fantastically good and amusingly bad remixes. Or something like that.

Interpol -- Evil (Josh Patrick Evil Dub)

9 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

I knew most of those 60s-80s AM radio songs and understood exactly what Unterberger was talking about in the Stylus piece. A lot of the songs were one-hit wonders. Guess I'm showing my age. I get the same feeling of dull esoterica when I'm reading some music blogs (not yours, mind you). I concur with CWPerry's comments on the article toward a poster who felt similarly to you.

Friday, May 26, 2006 2:53:00 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Yeah straight to hell in an easter basket with Stylus. That site seems to exist solely as a strong "Oh Yeah? Well get a load of this!" to those who think Pitchfork is indier-than-thou. I once read an article on there where someone broke down that REM's "Pretty Persuasion" was good because the high hat was a quarter-beat behind where it should've been.

Seriously. Make them stop.

Friday, May 26, 2006 2:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THX=1138. Remember that.

I'm all for one-hit wonders which rip off someone else's ideas, but there has to be something original to steal from. And the original artist probably has a long, healthy career. The OHW usually doesn't (though the Hollies are a unique exception). What's interesting is something Unterberger doesn't bring up - that these ten songs can stand as a sort of signpost for the genre each comes from (Count Five - garage rock, etc.)

Friday, May 26, 2006 3:03:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Honestly, I don't mind Stylus all that much, I read it occasionallly. They do have good features sometimes -- but the quality really is so inconsistent. I hardly read Pitchfork anymore, not even for the news. Is there a point, really? They seem hate anything vaguely feminine or too experimental or mildly adventurous. I hate to be finger-pointy, but sometimes I think they're directly to blame for the MOR'ing of indie rock.

Friday, May 26, 2006 3:08:00 PM  
Blogger carolyn rhea drapes aka chacal said...

i love it. you entered that zone where you can say, "who freaking cares," to nattering mayflies that invade your cubespace.

Friday, May 26, 2006 6:09:00 PM  
Blogger Rich said...

I'm just sayin' that "Psychotic Reaction" frickin' rules.

That is all.

Friday, May 26, 2006 6:31:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Rich: I'm glad you've let me know that, the article left me uninterested in seeking out any of the songs I hadn't heard before. (:

Chacal: This guy totally deserved to be told off, he's annoyed me for YEARS!

Friday, May 26, 2006 6:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i simply want to commend you for the jv quote you open the post with. now i'm going to go read the offending article!

Saturday, May 27, 2006 7:07:00 AM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

"Time Travel Is Lonely" is probably my favorite JV song ever, right up there with "Speed Lab..."

Saturday, May 27, 2006 1:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com