The Rich Girls Are Weeping

28 June 2006

You either love Xiu Xiu, or you don't. Simplistic, I know -- but I don't think I've met anyone who's heard the band (or Jamie Stewart's -- and his collaborators' -- other work) who didn't have a very strong opinion of it, either positive or negative -- there's never any in-betweens. It took me some time to come around to Xiu Xiu, actually -- even though I was a fan of Stewart's previous projects, Ten In The Swear Jar and IBOPA.

That being said, could this be the best yearning love song of all time; full of melancholy despite the promise of resolution? [Also included, another highly notable cover version, and the gorgeous, sparkling original.]

Xiu Xiu -- Kangaroo
This Mortal Coil -- Kangaroo
Big Star -- Kangaroo


"Kangaroo" appears on the Xiu Xiu covers EP, released by the fab Spanish label Acuarela Discos and available from Darla. The EP includes covers of tracks from three TRGAW faves: Nedelle, Bauhaus, and Nina Simone -- and uh, one from ... The Pussycat Dolls. (Don't cha wish your girlfriend was smart like me? Jus' sayin'.) Obscure Sound has posted tracks from the EP as well; there's tons more Xiu Xiu to sample at 5RC and Kill Rock Stars. The Air Force, the newest full-length from the band, will be released on September 15.

Elsewhere: Kathryn posted some fantastic pictures from The Grates' show at the Mercury Lounge in NYC last night. And, Karen Flickr'd the Peter the Wolf CD release show, which we sadly missed due to sheer forgetfulness in the midst of the flooding drama. Susan looked adorable as part of the Hobo Orchestra!

4 Comments:

Blogger Andy Fenwick said...

That's the last time I post before strolling thru the 'hood. I went all Dragonforce today, and would have referenced you, if I'd known.

Thanks for the Xiu mp3's; I can't even talk about Chilton, he's that important in the Parnell semiotics. I'm sure you know Xiu Xiu dropped a dynamite cover of JD's "Ceremony" a while back -- a crazy, earsplitting, mid-range noisefest.

And the new single from the new Xiu Xiu is great. Baited breath for the new Xiu.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 4:40:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

I love that XX cover of "Ceremony;" it's amazing! I think I might have even posted about it back in the early days of this blog.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 6:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello there - it surprised me a bit that you didn't list the version of Kangaroo by Jeff Buckley. i thought it was the more famous one! ;) keep up the great job, love this! xo

Monday, July 03, 2006 11:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool posting, but nothing, *nothing* can top the version of "Kangaroo" on the first This Mortal Coil disc. Ooh child - goosebumpinly beautiful!

Saturday, July 08, 2006 4:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com