The Rich Girls Are Weeping

27 July 2006

All you really need to universally understand my taste. Well -- this and the information that most of my favorite albums in the whole world are 30-plus years old -- except for that s/t Echo & The Bunnymen album and Ted Leo's entire ouevre. But I digress.

Yes, if there's a record I might be in danger of wearing out, it's Harry Nilsson's The Point. I searched for ages to get a good copy on vinyl, though a remastered version was released on CD a few years back. It was about the familiarity and nostalgia factor -- I must have spent hours listening to this record as a kid, singing the songs with my parents. It's quite special.

My mom sent me these tracks to replace the corrupted "Me and My Arrow" that I posted the other day. She noted that to get the full effect, you actually need the first three tracks from the album. She's quite right about that...

Harry Nilsson -- The Point -- Everything's Got 'Em
Harry Nilsson -- The Point -- The Town (narrated)
Harry Nillson -- The Point -- Me and My Arrow


And, as a bonus, Shelley Duvall as Olive Oyl in Robert Altman's Popeye, scored by Nilsson. You may remember this song from its appearance in the criminally underrated PT Anderson film Punch-Drunk Love.

Shelley Duvall -- He Needs Me

[sidebar: more Nilsson's been posted recently at I Guess I'm Floating (along with a cover from The Format) and Green Pea-ness]

...and one for just because: DFA remixes Le Tigre. I like about 3 Le Tigre songs, and this is one of 'em. Furthermore, this particular work by the DFA is an exemplary remix -- especially the ridiculous breakdown right at the 4:10 mark.

Le Tigre -- Deceptacon (DFA Remix)

Oh, and a special addition -- DJ Paul V. who does the Smash Mix on LA's Indie 103 sent this over, which was very sweet of him -- Peaches + Gary Glitter equals a bizzaro sparkle-fest of epic proportions, all in homage to Joan Jett, of course. Hear more mashup goodness on his Myspace page, too.

DJ Paul V. -- Peaches vs. Gary Glitter -- I Didn't Know The Boys Want To Be Her



Yes, indeed, it's a short post today; I'm all kinds of busy over here. However, we have grand news of upcoming doings that I'll save to announce tomorrow.

5 Comments:

Blogger FiL said...

Ooh, DFA Deceptacon - humperlicious!!!!

"Wanna disco? Wanna see me disco??"

FiL

Thursday, July 27, 2006 6:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Shelley Duvall track is wonderful. Thanks!

Thursday, July 27, 2006 11:58:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Fil:Totally, totally humperlicious!

Kenya: You're welcome!!

Friday, July 28, 2006 3:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I HEART CINDY HOTPOINT!!!

Sunday, July 30, 2006 2:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lemme get this straight - the reason that the Nilsson tracks all have cut off ends is because they all go together? Man that's a weird post. Great songs, though. - Your pal in music, jAKAsso! www.freewebs.com/jakasso

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 9:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com