The Rich Girls Are Weeping

24 January 2006

"This song could be 20 years old! And that's not a bad thing!" I've been keeping track of how often my best friend has been saying that about all the new music we've heard so far in 2006. VHS or Beta's new single "You Got Me" falls squarely into that category, and how! It sounds like the best of the 80's withtout reducing it all to cheezy cliche; this is something I've found myself drawn to more and more lately. I just can't believe a bunch of dirty boys from Kentucky, who often play with My Morning Jacket (of all people!), have unleashed this moody, danceable business on the world. Well, I can, actually -- especially after seeing them on tour with the Scissor Sisters in late '04. The boys of VHS or Beta had my heart after their amazing set, but when they drunkenly sang "Filthy/Gorgeous" in naughty falsetto at the merch booth, well -- I knew it was a love affair that was gonna last.

VHS or Beta -- You Got Me

bonus: VHS or Beta -- You Got Me (Baby Daddy Dub). I adore Scissor Sisters' Baby Daddy, even though I know that's the biggest lost cause in the world. (*sigh*)

Oh! And here's another one that made me really happy -- VV from The Kills guests on the title track of the fantastically dark new Placebo album Meds. There's some harsh and almost ugly moments in this new collection of songs, and but there's also a few of those lovely little love songs the boys of Placebo do so well. It's music for the gothed out adolescent that lives inside all of us. Try and deny that when you're alone.

Placebo (with VV of The Kills) -- Meds


And yes, I know just last week I swore I'd only post tracks MWF and all that, but these were too good not to share with you immediately. I hope you'll agree.

4 Comments:

Blogger mennu said...

I've been thinking the same thing about VHS or Beta for a while. They have that 80's redux style.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 5:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That VHS ro Beta track has a serious "Girls On Film" vibe happening. I'll let you decide if that's a good thing or not.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 5:56:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

I think that sounding like "Girls on Film" is a pretty wonderful thing, actually! (Hmmm. I feel like a target market right about now..)

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 1:44:00 PM  
Blogger RHSIV said...

so you know...i'm not sure which ones...but one or two of the members of sissor sisters are from lexington, ky. vhs or beta is from louisville, ky. small world.

Monday, February 13, 2006 4:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com