The Rich Girls Are Weeping

10 January 2006

We're having a sick day over here at TRGAW HQ, so a short entry for you today.

The most highly anticpated new album this month is probably Cat Power's The Greatest. I myself have had a weird relationship with Chan Marshall and her music over the years. We clashed and I resisted for a long time; I thought she was insufferably dull and pretentious -- her performance persona really bothered me. Every tale of shows she walked out of playing turned me off even more. But 2003's You Are Free finally reached me. I still can't explain why Ms. Marshall's music affects me -- her melancholy voice and weary, detatched delievery cut right to the heart of things. Her melodies are not complex, as a matter of fact, they're almost excessively repetitve (as all good blues songs are), which I think is what leads people to accuse her of phoning it in -- a critique I've already seen of The Greatest from a few quarters. That couldn't be further from the truth, though -- there's actually some, dare I say it, upbeat (but still bluesy) numbers on The Greatest, even more so than on any of her previous albums. It's an interesting direction, and it was even a little unexpected. But welcome nonetheless.

Anyway, here's one of those famous Cat Power covers (she really can interpret a song like no one else in indie rock); this one appears on the Japanese release of
The Greatest.

Cat Power -- Dreams (Everly Brothers cover)


(pre-order
The Greatest at Insound. It will be released on January 26, 2005.)

...and now for something completely different.
Bootie San Francisco, by far the best dance party in the country and the playground of bootleg mashup maestros Party Ben and A plus D, has compiled the best mashups of the year in one convenient location, The Best of Bootie 2005. Enjoy!

4 Comments:

Blogger Serenaded Hourly said...

Whatup, sickie!

Hey, so problems x2 this morning. One, your link to Cat Power's song is b0rked. Two, I DL'd from the Bootie site and for some reason, cannot unzip the archive? What's up with that? Is it just me?

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 1:17:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

AGH! I swear, the links are working fine and then THEY CHANGE OR SOMETHING. I swear, I checked it like, literally five times to make sure it was working, and yet it was still all, as you say, b0rked.

It's totally working now, though. I don't know what to tell you about the Bootie .zip, it worked just fine for me...

Anyone out there have similar problems, of link code just randomly going all wonky when you publish in Blogger? Help a girl out.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 7:40:00 PM  
Blogger Serenaded Hourly said...

I'm you: "It was the code! The code did it! I just work here!"

Just kidding. I know that stuff gets funky. I have noticed, actually, that when the links blow up on this here blog, it seems like the last half of the URL drops out. Like, maybe there's some kind of character limit or something? Would using tinyurl help with that or something? I'd be sad to lose the info in the filename (helps when the tags don't come through) but maybe it would keep your links from breaking?

I dunno. And yeah, the Bootie thing... it downloads fine but then has an "argument" at the very end of unzipping. Weiwd!

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 11:38:00 AM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

I know, I know. I sound like a total whiny-butt. Actually, I figured out WHEN the problem is happening in today's entry, but can't figure out WHY it's happening (I think it may have something to do with the fact that I have spaces in my file names? I will try w/o spaces next time...). I think I need to put in a support ticket or something.

ANYWAY, do you want me to re-zip the Bootie file and send it over to you?

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 5:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com