The Rich Girls Are Weeping

28 February 2006

Ain't it funny how the feeling goes away? Ten tidbits for you this afternoon; I've had quite a day. And it's not even close to being over. After languishing -- literally -- for about four years and not actually hustling to achieve anything of greatness, I'm realizing that it's harder than I remembered. And no, I'm not talking about my day job!

First: Not to make this into Hot Chip-ville or anything, but here's the truly bizzare and charming video for
Hot Chip's "Over and Over."

Second: Thanks to Dayan for pointing me toward
The DC Snipers.

Third: Thanks to Paul for pointing me toward
The Seedy Seeds. I don't have any more information on them than this, though.

Fourth: My mom sent me the following song the other day, I think it perfectly explains a good chunk of my taste in music, all in one convenient place.
It's all about the honky tonk piano, kids.

Thunderclap Newman -- Something in the Air

Fifth: Speaking of long-term influences on my taste, I was listening to The Eagles earlier, the fact that I'll still do that might explain a lot about my bizzaro interests. I really don't care if it's not okay to say that you appreciate, or even kind of love them; believe me, I'm any thing but a snob. That being said, I blame this current convocation of The Eagles Appreciation Society on Minotaur Shock.

Sixth: Party Ben's remix of
John Denver's "Thank God I'm A Country Boy" (scroll down past the Death Cab/Madge mashups -- which are also great) -- which strikes me as some sort of giant honkin' metatribute to Brokeback Mountain.

Seventh:
The video for The Hold Steady's "Your Little Hoodrat Friend," guest starring a few of my friends.

Eighth: Randomly -- Why didn't I ever notice that
Longwave sounds like a melodic guitar band, alternate universe version of They Might Be Giants?

Ninth: My darlings
Cue are mentioned in a Lupatarkastaja, a Finnish blog! Thus is the magic of the interschitzel.

Tenth: Where has this song been all my life? Made even better when I learnt the pedigree of
The Flying Lizards (guest appearance from David Toop!) -- this is one of those gaping holes in my knowledge that I'm sure will have people coming to collect the indie cred card immediately.

The Flying Lizards -- Moving On Up

Well, so much for this being a short entry! Laters!

A postscript: Remember Norwegian teengirlpop duo M2M? I sure do -- they were something of an anomaly back in the day and wrote most of their own songs before Avril even pretended to do such things. Well, 1/2 of M2M, Marit Ingman, has a solo single out in Norway, "Don't Save Me," that's kind of like Jenny Lewis' solo stuff colliding with ABBA. Or maybe a less dour, alternate universe version of The Like, ca. 2002? Get it over at Fluxblog (and ignore that he also posted the loathsome Dresden Dolls). Brilliant!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was the anonymous who earlier reported the broken Sugababes link. As I appreciate your tasteful generosity, and am dismayed when a technicality hinders that generosity, I guess I'm reporting broken links again (for both linked songs.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 6:31:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Thank you, Nathaniel. That would happen when I don't have time to double check them. All should be working now, sorry about that!

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 7:00:00 PM  
Blogger Rich Waterman said...

Thanks for all the excellent Ho Chip stuff lately

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 5:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THE DC FUCKING SNIPERS

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 8:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love "Something in the Air"!! thanks!

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 1:29:00 PM  
Blogger Are We There Yet? said...

Your mom rocks. Thunderclap Newman? That song figures prominently in my dreams. Thanks for it and all the other yummy stuff.You never cease to put a smile on my face.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 4:28:00 PM  
Blogger carolyn rhea drapes aka chacal said...

i must admit that i really love something in the air. i owe its capture to cindy and her BT instructions.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 4:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com