The Rich Girls Are Weeping

21 February 2006

I have seven minutes to write this post and upload the tracks -- ready ... set ... go ..! First things first, if you had friended Final Fantasy on Myspace, you'd best go back and re-friend him at the official page -- the previous unofficial account was deleted. While you're there, listen to two exclusive tracks from the new album, He Poos Clouds.

I know, I know -- we're all sick of it, and don't ever want to hear it again -- but what the hell, have another "Do You Want To" remix -- this one's a b-side to the forthcoming single for "The Fallen."

Franz Ferdinand -- Do You Want To (Erol Alkan remix)

What's better than Canadian collectives that make fantastic music? Canadian collectives that put out children's albums, that's what. Paper Bag Records' See You on the Moon: Songs for Kids of All Ages comes out on March 21. It's a little uneven -- there's a predictably Jesus-centric Sufjan Stevens song and a disappointing Broken Social Scene cover of "Puff the Magic Dragon" -- I'm sure both will make the rounds on other blogs, so I'll refrain from posting them. Here's what I thought were the standout tracks:

Hot Chip -- I Can't Wake Up
Fembots -- Under the Bed
Apostles of Hustle feat. The Huskies -- 24 Robbers

Finally, from the new
Stephin Merritt album, Showtunes, (a collection of his works written for the stage, due out March 15), an adorably chipper track full of ukulele love. I'm not sure which of his three mini-operas this is from, my best guess would be the one that was about Hans Christian Anderson, My Life As a Fairy Tale. I'm not sure how to credit it, so I'll go with what was on the track, but this sung by an ensemble, not Merritt himself.

Stephin Merritt -- Ukulele Me!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok do you wanna hear about one of my stephin merritt encounters? i have several friends that are close friends with him & one was having a birthday celebration at a lil gay bar in manhattan & had asked me to spin at it. at one point, i threw on nancy sinatra & lee hazlewood's "jackson." & next thing i knew, lil stephin came over to me, turned my head with his hand & planted a chaste kiss on my cheek. then he turned & walked away. how cute is that?? anyway, thought you might find that funny cause who doesn't love that lil guy?? xxoo c

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 12:31:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

That's a totally adorable story! (: I hope that you're DJing the next time I'm in NYC -- your sets sound fantastic!

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 6:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cindy -- you should definitely drop me a line when you're in nyc again. even if i'm not djing it'd be cool to meet you! (oh & did you know that i have an internet radio show on eastvillageradio.com? there's a link on my blog if you wanna check it out) whoot! xxoo c

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 12:15:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Collette: I saw that you were the hostess of eastvillageradio.com yesterday; I'd heard of it before but didn't make the connection. I should be in NYC in early April for the Voxtrot shows @ the Merc and other assorted business. We totally need to meet up! Yay!

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 3:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com