The Rich Girls Are Weeping

03 March 2006

I want to touch you, you're just made for love. My heart is currently lost to I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness; I am that girl today, wearing my new t-shirt the day after the show. We went by their CD release party last night and largely ignored the openers, the still-bland Radiohead photocopies The Glass Family (apparently, I'm one of the few who doesn't care for them, though), but then sighed and swooned over I<3YBICD, our favorite gloomy local boys who have more effects pedals on stage than I've ever seen set out by a band! They head out on tour after SXSW; it behooves you to see them if they swing by your town -- check their page (lovely and flash-heavy, thus no direct link) for tour dates. It was also especially nice to pick up the album a few days ahead of time -- on vinyl no less. Those kids over at Secretly Canadian know a thing or two about wonderful packaging -- it's just gorgeous.

And, call me crazy, but I feel this has "gloomcookie hipster kid dance hit" written all over it. And it needs some remixing. Hey, mc DJ -- are you reading this? [Hint, hint.]

I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness -- According to Plan

In other news, I may or may not have had something to do with the Cue profile up at See You in the Pit.

And so, keeping with the theme, Friday melancholia and sentimentality, Cindy Hotpoint style -- here's some songs for you. Each song may or may not be for you specifically, selected readers, especially the anonymous ones who leave me ultra-flattering comments. It means a lot, it does -- thank you.

Richard & Linda Thompson -- I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight
Pixies -- Gigantic
Okkervil River -- Westfall
The Wrens -- I Guess We're Done


Have a good weekend!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have this problem where people are constantly telling me some band sounds like radiohead or hacks off radiohead, and i never ever ever hear it. the only exception is what made milwaukee famous.

which is my long way of saying i don't agree about the glass family, but then maybe i have some sort of radiohead-hackage blindness.

Friday, March 03, 2006 2:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree. glass fam sounds nothing like radiohead. radiohead is not poppy enough and they don't rock the piano the way the glass fam does.

i'll give you one thing though - I Love You But... was a good show last night.

ps. glass fam is good. radiohead also good. try listening to some of those radiohead albums sometime instead of claiming as everyone else does that [fill in band name] is another radiohead rip off.

Friday, March 03, 2006 3:24:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Derek: I officially am almost to the point that I can't really consider Spoon an "Austin" band anymore, and I was actually going to make the same point; I<3YBICD is easily the best "Austin" band around.

Friday, March 03, 2006 3:35:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Well, there's no accounting for taste, dear readers. (: I actually recently described The Glass Family as a deadly cross between the worst aspects of Centro-Matic (and probably Magnolia Electric Co. too) and Radiohead, which may be more accurate. It's that overly-busy sound mixed with the watered-down Gram Parsons influnce that really bothers me. They're just not doing anything new or interesting or exciting that hasn't been done better by a slew of bands over the past five years. Most notably: Dios Malos. Head of Femur. The Impossible Shapes. Etc.

Friday, March 03, 2006 3:38:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Addendum: I'm relistening to some of the songs now, and it's really weird, in some ways The Glass Family is kind of tailor-made to fit a lot of discrete musical elements that love -- thumpy piano, big big horns, squally sax, jammy guitar bits -- but I just can't shake the feeling when I'm listening to them that it's some other band. And the songs just don't stick with me, it's like they've nailed the formula so well, there's nothing for me to hook on to, they just slide one ear and out the other. I felt this way the very first time I heard them, about two years ago? I've just kind of had this long-standing non-relationship with The Glass Family since then. I've tried to like them, I have. But it's kind of like trying to date someone whose interests are too much like your own, so that you just kind of stagnate and never do or see anything new. A tortued analogy, but does that make sense?

Also, I should point out that I don't dislike Radiohead -- well, okay, I haven't liked the last few records, but I don't hate them or anything.

And Karen, you're right, WMMF really does hack off Radiohead, but for some reason, it's okay when they do it!

Friday, March 03, 2006 4:02:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Christine: Thanks for the kind words, and indeed, I<3YBICD do posess a "ridiculously awesome moodiness" -- when I was buying merch last night, I told the INCREDIBLY CUTE BOY manning the wares that I was ready to "get my gloom on."

Friday, March 03, 2006 4:07:00 PM  
Blogger carolyn rhea drapes aka chacal said...

oh, cindy, i think you can get yer gloom on by way of a little radiohead. (ok, so i'm an ok computer lover, myself) and it may be just me, but a dash of smashing pumpkins adore wouldn't hurt, either. i dunno, i'm just a sucker for concept albums...must have been all those years coding in a cubicle, where you can loose all sense of...well, you know.

Saturday, March 04, 2006 12:36:00 AM  
Blogger chris said...

Ok, so I'm late to the party but i have to point out that 1) 'Listen to Hail to the Thief,' or at least 3/4 of it, one more time. Really strong album that deserves better. Seriously. And 2) Thanks for 'Westfall.' That is one beautiful, terribly grim song from one terribly beautiful album.

First time here...glad I found it. Thanks for all that and such.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 12:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com