The Rich Girls Are Weeping

02 March 2006

I was a short fuse burning all the time. Did you know that Pancho Villa's favorite drink was strawberry soda? That's currently mine too, even if I gave up excess sugar for Lent. Anyway, apparently Villa was a teetotaler; I, however, am not. Someone bring me more coffee. I'm thrashed; Cue went on late last night, but it was worth it, as always. They're amazing -- the studio recordings don't do justice to just how amazing they are live. I can't encourage people enough to catch them during SXSW.

But before we get to the music, some words of inspiration for you:

"Out of the closets and into the museums, libraries, architectural monuments, concert halls, bookstores, recording studios and film
studios of the world. Everything belongs to the inspired and dedicated thief.... Words, colors, light, sounds, stone, wood, bronze belong to the living artist. They belong to anyone who can use them. Loot the Louvre! A bas l’originalité, the sterile and assertive ego that imprisons us as it creates. Vive le sol­pure, shameless, total. We are not responsible. Steal anything in sight." - William S. Burroughs

Now we've got that out of the way, feel free to move about the cabin. I like this new trendlet of totally bizzaro covers; here's two that I'm completely enamoured of.

Open Air -- Seven Nation Army (Young Punx Mix)
[Funked up White Stripes cover, remixified]
Max Tundra -- The Owls Go
[One-man Architecture in Helsinki cover -- impressive 'cause aren't there like, 25 people in that band? Finally got around to uploading this one.]

I also have some Tiga for you; I've decided that he's like the electronic Rufus Wainwright. "Good as Gold" is such a bleak, resigned, and painfully gorgeous song (Wainwright analogue: "Vibrate") and this Morgan Geist remix makes it even more chilled and distant:

Tiga -- Good as Gold (Morgan Geist Monophonic Mix)

And how about some live Go! Team? Of course you want it! I saw them twice last year, at their SXSW showcase and then at Emo's sometime in November, I think. The former was a hoot, it was the first Go! Team set stateside, so we got there really, really early and had to sit through some of the worst bands ever. The apex of awful was this tiny kid with rockstar swagger and who looked like Tom Cruise's pipsqueak little brother -- worst part was that he was clearly miffed that we didn't give a flip about him at all with our cross-armed indifference. Turned out he was future global superstar James Blunt. He gushed "You're Beautiful" to the two people who were interested -- some clearly Anglophilic girls in Harry Potter t-shirts on the front row. It was vile. Luckily The Go! Team (and Dogs Die in Hot Cars, who were also on the bill) were so amazingly fun, they washed the bad Blunt-taste out of my mouth. Anyway, I'm trying to decide if I want to try and catch The Go! Team again this year; it depends on how my sked pans out, I suppose.

The Go! Team -- Junior Kickstart (Live @ WERS)
The Go! Team -- Huddle Formation (Live @ KCRW)

Know how sometimes you just go, "Hey, that's an interesting band name!" and then the band is like, mind-blowingly good? That happened to me this morning with Portugal. The Man, my friends. I suspect they may be from another planet. Seriously. (And by another planet, I mean Alaska.) Glammy bluesy thumping, hooray!

Portugal. The Man -- The Pines

2 Comments:

Blogger Pinkie von Bloom said...

Of course Stacy's violin is a focus, and ultimately, it's what set them apart from most other Austin bands--and everyone else. The closest comparison I could make is Humroot-era Shelleyan Orphan...plugged in. What's most astounding about Cue is that they have no idea how good they are.

Thursday, March 02, 2006 5:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In New Orleans it was called "Pop Rouge", but it tasted more cherry than strawberry. Pancho Villa would have gotten some when it was like 95 degrees at midnight. I will not say what the older girls called it...

Monday, March 06, 2006 8:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com