The Rich Girls Are Weeping

18 April 2006

Just back from the orthodontist, for the first time in 12 years. Don't you love emergency dental work? I sure do! (I'm getting a new retainer, how totes retro is that?) Hence, a short post of cheerful goodness.

First, some Boy Least Likely To b-sides. Have I mentioned lately how totally, wonderfully adorable their SXSW showcase was? Incredible. (Kathryn was there too, and got a picture...)

The Boy Least Likely To -- Rock Upon A Porch With You
The Boy Least Likely To -- Every Grubby Little Memory


I spent part of Sunday pawing through the 7" records at Waterloo, where I discovered The Research, who also happen to be on the cover of the latest issue of Plan B (or, well, the latest one that's out here and not then new one with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs cover). Unfortunately, I missed them during SXSW -- my plaintive, repetitive refrain. I've read The Research described by namechecking Brian Wilson and the Ronettes -- that sounds about right to me -- though Russell Searle is maybe a bit more Stephin Merritt-ish up an octave than Brian Wilson-y. Alternatively, The Research is succeeding at doing what I think Mates of State were attempting (but ultimately failed) to do on their latest. Anyway, The Research are kind of rip-roaring mad -- or Searle is anyway -- which is totally fine with me.

The Research -- The Way You Used To Smile

The Research -- True Love Weighs A Tonne

Finally, I have decided that the following could be the best thing EVER. I wish I'd thought to do it. I mean, if I did a mash-up, it would probably turn out like this.

Pink vs ELO - Don't Start Me Down (2005 Booty Von Dralle Mix) [via Digital Eargasm]

For those of you that have already heard Shearwater's latest, Palo Santo -- is it just me, or does this review miss the boat entirely in a horrifically oversimplistic way? If I was going to point fingers at Mr. Meiburg for aping anyone, it certainly wouldn't be Jeff Buckley!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i too was annoyed to discover the research shortly after missing them at south by. sucks to that. but i don't feel entirely responsible, because the one song of theirs i'd heard at that point was actually kind of annoying.

of course now i'm sitting around trying to figure out when their album comes out in the us.

p.s. that issue of plan b is actually kinda stale (i'm surprised waterloo doesn't have a new one yet).

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 5:39:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Kathryn: The Research seem to be a bit more subtle than The Grates (who really do put on a heck of a skippy-happy show), so I can see how that happened!

Karen: Maybe a Myspace message might yield and answer to the US release date question?

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 6:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com