The Rich Girls Are Weeping

03 April 2006

Awkward doesn't even begin to describe it. Needless to say, you should never ever go to a work happy hour, do tequila shots, and hit on a co-worker whom you've had a crush on for about oh, six years. Very bad idea. But me, I would never do anything like that! (Oh, you know it's awkward around here today. Terribly awkward. I feel like everyone's staring and/or gossiping about me. Of course, this isn't true ... right? RIGHT?!?! Please tell me I'm just really paranoid.)

But whatever, enough about my embarassing Friday night -- I hope you had a better weekend. (Things were actually nice and relaxing actually, once I got all that Cuervo out of my system -- I don't mean to be so melodramatic.)

Could this be the best cover of the past few years? Probably -- and it's now available on the re-release of Giant Drag's Hearts and Unicorns. After finally seeing Giant Drag at SXSW (we'd been a missed connection for years), they've become one of my absolute favorite bands to see live. You really can't beat Ms. Annie Hardy's spaced-out banter, no siree.

Giant Drag -- Wicked Game

And while we're on the subject of bonus tracks... Hosted at Yousendit for the obvious reasons, namely those pesky cease-and-desists from Interscope's corporate office. How the heck did this not make the cut for Show Your Bones? It's fantastic; wish I'd had this to post on as part of Friday's dance selections.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs -- Deja Vu
Yeah Yeah Yeahs -- Deja Vu -- NEW LINK HERE. (I'll try and post another if this one expires too.)

Following segment is brought to you by NME's hot band potentially overhyped band department:

Am I allowed to say I like The Motorettes better than the Arctic Monkeys? Well, I do -- nice blend of Bloc Party and the Monkeys' bizzaro suburban teenage DIY ethos and something that should have been a hit ca. 1982 or something.

The Motorettes -- You Gotta Look The Parts

The Boyfriends are now on tour with Morrissey in the UK, probably due to sounding just a bit like early Smiths as well as being rough and tumble "sexually ambivalent" lads. There's something really appealing and fresh and new about this song, though -- despite the fact that the band wears their influences pinned to their chests in the form of shiny punk rock badges. Would that the kids could be as enamored with The Boyfriends as they are with She Wants Revenge.

The Boyfriends -- I Love You

What else did I do this weekend? Well, I missed The Black Angels CD release (oops!) and I made an ill-advised trip to the Austin Record Convention (though I did get a great deal on a whole mess of fantastic picture-sleeved 45s, nothing less than 20 years old).

But hey, speaking of The Smiths, I bought a very overpriced (or maybe not, checking around now, I made out okay) copy of the Sandie Shaw "Hand in Glove" 12" single.

Sandie Shaw -- Jeane

And finally, we've loved Brittany Murphy since her adorable turn in Clueless. Is there anything she can't do -- the voice of King of the Hill's Louann Platter, newly glammed-up B-picture starlette (see any number of recent fashion mags: ie. Jane, Lucky), and now clubland diva? Oh yes! Sing it, girl.

Paul Oakenfold feat. Brittany Murphy -- Faster Kill Pussycat

8 Comments:

Blogger Pinkie von Bloom said...

Of course, this could be ammended to say that one should never go to work happy hours or do tequila shots and that the combination of both inevitably leads to awkwardness. (Ask me how!)

What's sad is that a small stumble like this causes a nice girl such angst when there are not-so-nice girls who do this all the time and call it "partying." =P

Monday, April 03, 2006 1:33:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Dear readers, just in case you were wondering, though I do like to drink (like a man, apparently), I am not a wasteoid party girl.

Remind me to tell you sometime how at another work happy hour a few years back, I was stunned to learn that everyone thought I was a pothead. I had a good laugh at that one. No, I'm just naturally bizzare and spaced-out. Obvs!

Monday, April 03, 2006 1:39:00 PM  
Blogger Pinkie von Bloom said...

allow me to quote yet another washed-up 80s country star:

Jose Cuervo you are a friend of mine
I like to drink you with a little salt and lime
Did I kiss all the cowboys did I shoot out the lights
Did I dance on the bar did I start any fights

Now wait a minute things don't look too familiar
Who is this cowboy sleeping beside me
He's awful cute but how'd I get his shirt on
I had to much tequila last night

Yes, Cindy and Pinkie like both kinds of music: Country and Western. Really, my knowledge of bad 70s/80s country is semi-legendary, and I have no idea where it came from. But I guess I should keep working it in the name of tackiness.

Monday, April 03, 2006 1:55:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Dude, I should have posted that song -- I bet it's on that awful Time-Life collection! I would say, "Next time!" but there'd really better not be a next time.

And yes, we really must more fully develop our bizzare musical quirks -- preforably in this space, so that others can uh, share the magic. Or something. Your knowledge of bad 70's /80's country is better than mine, but I'm sure that's a locational issue. Frankly, I'm shocked at the breadth of my knowledge in that particular department, goodness knows how I know all those songs!

Monday, April 03, 2006 2:15:00 PM  
Blogger carolyn rhea drapes aka chacal said...

i'm sure i could find a few of those via bence. now that must be where it comes from...

Monday, April 03, 2006 4:30:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

...and he got me into Madonna at a tender age as well!

Monday, April 03, 2006 9:09:00 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

how do you know the exact songs I want to download? It never fails, anytime I hear of something coming out (i.e. "wicked game" or the brittany murphy song), it's on here. I love it!

Thanks!

Saturday, April 08, 2006 8:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for Sandie Shaw's Jeane -- a great cover of one of the Smith's best songs.

Friday, April 21, 2006 3:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com