The Rich Girls Are Weeping

20 October 2006

Not much to report today. I've seriously got a serious case of the Friday afternoon sleepies. Oh, wait, yes -- how did I miss that Kill Rock Stars' Slim Moon is moving over to do A&R for ... Nonesuch? And that KRS is shuttering 5 Rue Christine, the label with the best logo ever -- not to mention a killer roster? Word is that the 5RC crowd will be absorbed into KRS -- I certainly hope no-one ends up homeless! Also, what's gonna happen to the Kill Rock Stars book club? I have a feeling I missed an email over there about this as the list is really quiet, and no-one seems to want to read The Fountainhead again (shocker!).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a nice weekend full of Mickey Avalon, Marie Antoinette, and parties with friends... Oh, yeah -- and sleeping in.

In HIGH (weird) DEMAND today:

Gerry and the Holograms -- Gerry and the Holograms
. So, Fluxblog and Marathon Packs posted some great tracks from the new 7" UP! compilation on the Crippled Dick Hot Wax! label. It's a great complation of rare UK 7" dated 1978 to 1982. Oddly enough, there's a bit of crossover with artists and songs that appeared on Obey The New Wave, which we wrote about the other day -- including this weirdo electronic number. According to the folks at CDHW (and Wiel's Time Capsule), the band had another single that one can't play it because it's glued to the sleeve. Hmmm. Anyway, elsewhere, someone called this particular song "refreshingly annoying." Agreed! And one hell of a long life-span for something limited to a couple hundred copies. (info)

Mekon -- Blood On the Moon (In Flagranti Remix). I like this, I think. Features vocals from Alan Vega (Suicide) and Bobby Gillespie (Primal Scream), scary handclaps, and sinister sequencing. Mostly, I picked this up 'cause it was an In Flagranti remix -- you can find the original version over at 20 Jazz Funk Greats. Still, um, I'll get back to you about this one. Yeah. (interview) (remixer)

120 Days -- Come Out (Lansing-Dreiden Remix, 2nd Version). It's curious remix day, that's for sure. Does this mean we can expect more remixes from those famously odd and elusive Lansing-Dreiden peeps in the future? I hope so! Anyway, this one's not for headphone listening -- the ultra-layered effects and trippified vocals might make you like, ultra-dizzy. (site) (remixer)

Ladytron -- Sugar (Playgroup Vocal Mix). In honor of the fact that I'm pretty sure I won't be seeing Ladytron tomorrow night at Stubb's. They're one of those bands I like a whole lot, but never seem to be able to catch. Like, ever -- and how did they go from playing tiny venues to huge ones in a matter of a few months. Did I miss something? (site) (remixer)

Bow Wow Wow -- C30, C60, C90, Go!. A nod to the prevalence of Bow Wow Wow on the Marie Antoinette soundtrack ... and the slippery morality of the mp3 blogger. An ode to home taping, penned, naturally, by Malcolm McLaren. (info) (video)

Bonus: Deportees -- Missing You, Missing Me. This song as the earwormiest hook of all time and the cutest video, too. Can't really speak too highly, though, of the rest of the band's schlocky output. There are times when the whole Swedish pop thing does go a little too far in the wrong direction. In general, Deportees would be a perfect example of that. You've been warned. (site)

3 Comments:

Blogger FiL said...

Oh, the Friday sleepies - they are sooo contagious... YAWN!

Bugger it, I'm calling it a week.

"A-bligger a-blagger a-blippity-blop
well I'm going down to the record shop"

Friday, October 20, 2006 7:24:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Tescosuicide: I saw that! How funny. I'd pulled the song out to put on a mix cd for one of my co-workers. There's lots of Bow Wow Wow on the brain around here b/c of the Marie Antoinette soundrack!

Monday, October 23, 2006 4:54:00 PM  
Blogger Andy Fenwick said...

Bow wow wow are playing te Filter CMJ party 11/2. I'm not gonna go. Sould I ebay my invite? Is it really BWW, or whatsername and some filler? It'll be a horrid scene.

And - to add to the rock label movement - Caroline dropped Revolver. Pretty completely.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 11:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com