The Rich Girls Are Weeping

10 October 2006

Without getting into gory details or trade secrets, this is an ultra-brief post today because I woke up late, got caught in a flash flood, and spent the day in meetings. And now I have a bunch of errands to run! So, I have an extremely thin wafer of time to give you some stream-of-concsiousness presents from the vault. Ta-da!

Chuck Jackson -- The Breaking Point.
I had a co-worker a few years back (I think I've mentioned him before...) who would send me random mp3s with subject lines that were the song lyrics or something tangentally related, and no other content. I often miss him because we both loved Burt Bacharach (obvs.) and The Assocation and accordions, among other things -- anyway, he sent me this song once, and I listen to it whenever I'm having a busy day. (info)

Phantom Planet -- Local Black and Red.
Remember when Phantom Planet was good, and had the most rabid fanbase ever and Jason Schwartzmann was still in the band? Those were the days. (site)

Elvis Costello -- Veronica. In an alternate universe, my name is Veronica. Tangentally, and sort of related: After Heathers came out, I totally wore a mononcle for effect. TRUE STORY! I have, on the other hand, never thought Christian Slater was hot. (info)

The Pixies -- Wave of Mutilation. Speaking of Christian Slater, ask any woman of a certain age who was an "alternative" girl in a certain era, and she most likely owned the Pump Up the Volume soundtrack. *ahem* The first 25 seconds of this song have been the ringtone on my phone for like a year. (label site)

8 Comments:

Blogger Pinkie von Bloom said...

uh...i don't think i fall into your woman of a certain age camp on the pump up the volume tip. A. i've never seen the movie, B. i never had the soundtrack, and C. christian slater is totes gross and has scary little teeth. it's funny. i can't use "alternative" as an identifier for high school because i usually produced a snappish "alternative to what?!" retort any time that word was applied to me. maybe i arrived at an earlier time, when "progressive" was used to describe something other than prog-rock, and MTV's post-modern was still on. alas, for i am old and bitter...and i'm totes excited about follett's and the prospect of barely adult socially awkward hot preemie academics with annoying intellectual pretenses and utterly stupid degree plans. god, i'm a sucker for a philosophy degree.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 6:43:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Ah, but did you have a mononcle for effect? Heh.

You were so much more badass than I was in high school, though. But that's why you're my BFF.

*sigh*

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 6:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too loathe Christian Slater and his scary little teeth and bad Jack Nicholson impression.

I do love Elvis Costello though. I must admit, however, Veronica isn't one of my faves.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 7:04:00 PM  
Blogger carolyn rhea drapes aka chacal said...

i only like slater in, the name of the rose (1987) with sir thomas sean connery. although, he looks pretty goofy there too, with his tiny pearly whites.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 11:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love that you had a monocle! hahahaha. awesome. please post a picture of this!!

Thursday, October 12, 2006 12:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

also, to pinkie -- OMG! FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE THAT USED THE TERM "PROGRESSIVE" BACK IN THE DAY!! i can't use alternative either -- it gives me hives. but i am old & crotchety too :)

Thursday, October 12, 2006 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger Pinkie von Bloom said...

colleen, i'm so old and crotchety i can't bring myself to say "back in the day." it just is what it is. and if i want to call camper van beethoven college rock and the rievers or the connells progressive, dammit, i'll do it. ;) you know..."all we had were bloody stumps, but we liked it!"

Friday, October 13, 2006 5:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

es agradable saber que hay un espacio como el tuyo
gracias!!!!!!!!!!

Saturday, October 28, 2006 2:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com