The Rich Girls Are Weeping

08 February 2006

New York cares that this is not what you had planned. My best friend and I sat in her car last night and cried (ah, the irony) over the hidden track bit of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' "Modern Romance." And whaddya know, the album version of "Gold Lion," the first track from their new release, was spilled all over the Interschitzel last night.

Time for my requisite YYYs story: I saw them in January 2002 at a benefit for Bust magazine, opening for The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion(!) at the Knitting Factory. This was early in my return to show-going and rocking out in general, and I was thrilled to finally be seeing the JSBX!. My friend that got the tickets told me that the YYYs were a buzzy little band that everyone was talking about that was pretty neat -- and boy, howdy, I just wasn't ready for that experience. This was before Karen O's stage schtick was mocked and trashed. It's all so well known now: She thrashed around, poured beer all over herself, and hollered -- much to the enjoyment of the band's three hardcore superfans in the crowd. Said superfans were wearing homemade t-shirts and were in a really blissful place, screaming along with every song. And I just didn't know what to make of what was happening in front of me -- I think I was kind of traumatized by it all. So much so that when the YYY's went from being a buzz band to being Spin darlings to being bona fide stars, I just kind of ignored them.

And yet I've found a place for the YYYs in my heart now. I think it's the combination of the psychic double punch of unrequited love for a City and a Man, both of which are conveniently located near each other. (Another big factor -- remember when Ted Leo dropped the chorus of "Maps" into the bridge of his cover of Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone?" Brilliant. And that Arcade Fire cover of "Maps" that was floating around for a while? Doubly brilliant. I think those covers really opened my eyes to just how good the YYY's songwriting is.)

What can I say, I'm a sap. And I think, to a certain extent, so are the YYYs. Beer soaked, thrashy saps.


"Gold Lion" is pretty fantastic, and I can't wait to hear the rest of the new album. Everyone's posting the track today; here's one more place to gank it. Also attached -- the acoustic version of "Maps" that always slays me. And of course, "Modern Romance" -- wait for the hidden part of the track at the 4:25 mark -- it's a gorgeous, gorgeous improvised country ditty. The kind you want to drop in the middle of that first hesitant mix cd offered like an olive branch. Yeah, you can be almost 30 and still want to make mix cds for someone. I think that's one of the first signs of big L-U-V love. Don't you?

Yeah Yeah Yeahs -- Gold Lion
Yeah Yeah Yeahs -- Maps (Acoustic)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs -- Modern Romance

Buy 'em at Insound. The Gold Lion EP will be released on February 21.

(My other good YYYs story is that a friend went to Bard with Nick Zinner and totally used to see his college band, The Boba Fett Experience, play -- probably more than she would have liked, I think!)

15 Comments:

Blogger bjr said...

I'm loving the Gold Lion, too. Grab the Diplo remix at Palms Out:
http://palmsout.blogspot.com/2006/01/gold-lion-silver-wolf.html

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 2:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you'll still want to do the mix cd thing the other side of 30 too!

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 3:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it when covers make you love the original ever more.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 3:10:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

anon: good to know, i hope you're speaking from experience!

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 4:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you must know, that hidden track is called "Porcelain"...

Thursday, February 09, 2006 11:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh i am speaking from experience! Tho lets just say i have a new cd ready and waiting!

Thursday, February 09, 2006 2:32:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

keepitcomingster: thanks! good to know it has a name. (:

Thursday, February 09, 2006 2:55:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

anon: is it for anyone in particular? (;

Thursday, February 09, 2006 2:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well there are a few faces that get me all tonguetied but they usually have someone else's mix already.

Still, i've always found its the unexpected who walks into your life who truly appreciates that oh so agonised over selection!

Its not too romantic a notion to think it'll happen soon tho right? M

Thursday, February 09, 2006 4:46:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Anon: Thx for using the initial, I think I may know who you are now -- it did feel a bit weird not knowing who you were. (We've met, right?)

And no, it's not too romantic. Hell, in case you hadn't noticed, I also cling to such unfashionable and outmoded notions.

The heart wants what the heart wants, remember.

Thursday, February 09, 2006 6:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope don't think so. Just identified with the mix tape thing. I don't normally leave comments on these things...anonymity can leave one unguarded maybe?!

Wouldn't want any awkward situations arising for ya with whoever you thought it was!

Good to know i'm not the only one tho...let the wait go on!

Thursday, February 09, 2006 6:57:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

M: I'm pleased I moved you to comment. Now I feel like a dork that I thought I knew who you were! (: But that's cool, no worries -- nothing awkward at all. Thanks for reading, and commenting. (:

Friday, February 10, 2006 2:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well i felt a bit silly too, especially after reading today's post! Hope you feel better today!

Well its most certainly the weekend here in the uk now so time to 'rock out' indeed! Have fun.

Friday, February 10, 2006 3:06:00 PM  
Blogger Moka said...

Yes maps was the track that convinced me they weren't shit. If only Karen O stripped her heart in those ways a lil bit more instead of pleasing hipsters. I've always thought that she sounds like chan marshall when singing porcelain.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 11:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was at Bard they were just called Boba Fett, but then they changed their name. Which I never understood--it's not like they were getting around the whole trademark thing. Anyways, I was going to say that my #1 Nick Zinner memory is this student film he was in where he was dragging an old man (unconscious, possibly dead) through a forest.

Monday, February 13, 2006 9:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com