The Rich Girls Are Weeping

09 June 2006

Short and sweet. Goodness, I can't believe I haven't mentioned anything about this all week; CONGRATULATIONS to TRGAW pals What Made Milwaukee Famous. They've (finally) signed with Seattle's Barsuk Records, a process I believe was sparked at SXSW 2005; I was talking with Barsuk empresario Josh Rosenfeld after the annual BBQ party when Drew Patrizi walked up and handed him a copy of WMMF's self-released album.

"Hey, I know those guys," I told Josh. "They're really good!" He told me that Mr. John Roderick was also a fan, which didn't surprise me in the least! Since then, rumors swirled that the lads would sign with Barsuk, but there was never any confirmation of this until a few days ago. WMMF has steadily gained attention over the past few years, especially after a national tour with The M's this spring, a star turn at the 2005 ACL fest, and a fantastic appearance on the "Austin City Limits" TV show, wherein they totally upstaged Franz Ferdinand. They'll be playing Lollapalooza this year (Aug. 4-6 @ Chicago's Grant Park), and Trying To Never Catch Up will be re-released on Barsuk on August 22 and features re-tooled track listing and new songs "The Jeopardy of Contentment, "Hopelist," "Judas," and "Sweet Lady."

What Made Milwaukee Famous -- Around The Gills
What Made Milwaukee Famous -- Hellodrama


This is as good a time as any to announce that our sister site, depravedfangirls.org will be rebranded by mid-July as Four Inches From The Cuff, where Pinkie and I wll pontificate on life, music, crafts, and whatever else strikes our fancy. The reason I mention this is that our interview with What Made Milwaukee Famous, conducted in January and subsequently eaten by my computer and then magically rescued, will be our first post over at Four Inches From The Cuff. Don't worry, TRGAW that you know and love isn't going anywhere, we'll just be "presented by" FIFTC after mid-July.

Charming videos:
The Spinto Band -- Mandy (lovely, lovely animation)
The Males -- Slit-Wrist Teen Queen (I don't know much about The Males, other than that they're poised to be yet another buzz band out of the UK when "Slit-Wrist Teen Queen" is released in August.)

After a dearth of good rock shows lately, things are picking up again. I'm sure everyone will be at the Shellac show, but I think we'll finally be seeing the amazing, brilliant Greg Dulli and The Twilight Singers over at the Parish; Radio 4 and TRGAW faves The Hourly Radio will be there tomorrow night.

(Oh, hey -- do us a favor, would ya, and add us to your del.ici.ous and/or Technorati favorites, if you haven't already? Thanks!)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hourly radio was great! where was everyone though?

Sunday, June 11, 2006 8:23:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

I know, it was pretty ... weird, but I got the feeling they were a last minute addition to the bill. Did you stay for the rest of the show, anon.? Did more people eventually show up?

Monday, June 12, 2006 9:12:00 AM  
Blogger Pinkie von Bloom said...

i'll add that THR will be here again on july 5 on a bill that we're sponsoring. the ebb & flow (SF) are headlining, and protokoll (boston) and a featherweight burden (austin) are also playing. please come out for that.

Monday, June 12, 2006 9:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com