The Rich Girls Are Weeping

06 October 2006

You know what I dream of? Being on panels at conferences (lame, lame -- I know). As such, I'm kinda jealous of The Perp right now. I mean, I was thinking abut going to the Future of Music conference/Pop Montreal at one point this summer until I discovered that plane tickets to Montreal from Austin are like, at best, $600. Mmm. No.

Speaking of misguided emotional states, Ultragrrl's done one of those things on the list of things to do before one dies, or something -- she's in Vanity Fair. (Sidebar: What the heck was Bono doing at Black & White? Dang.) In another browser window, I'm reading the Zolius' and Chromewaves' recaps of the hott Pop Montreal acton (speaking of, Frank's post on being charmed by Joanna Newsom is one of the lovliest things I've read lately...). You can't say I'm not extremely democratic in my tastes, or something.

So what's going on this weekend? Probably skipping the Yeah Yeah Yeahs -- Karen O's costume changes aren't enough to draw us out to Stubb's when there's a potential that it might still be like, 90 degrees at night. I might go harass people DJing at Emo's, Thee Lounge Editon tonight -- or head to Mohawk to see The Black Angels on Saturday. (Relatedly, anyone want to put us on the list for The Hold Steady Sunday? No, really. I'm serious.)

Anyway, at some point this weekend, I've got to get down to business and write out the pattern for the scarf I designed that's appearing in the 2008 Stitch'n'Bitch Page-a-Day calendar. Don't worry, there will be pictures soon. Yes, it's kind of got a music theme. And no, it does not look like this... I probably also need to go see The Departed, I think (I'm glad Marty's making, you know, real movies again...) -- but mostly I'm on tenterhooks to see David Lynch's Inland Empire, which probably won't play here for another million years...

Moving on: Best find of the week, even though it was posted in June: Dust on the Stylus has the Frazier Chorus cover of "Anarchy in the UK." I kind of hate that song -- it's one of those overplayed things that's totally lost its meaning. But I kind of love this version.

Speaking of things that should only be listened to once, max, because they're charming, but not particularly good, here's Karen O & Peaches' contribution to the Jackass Number Two soundtrack.

Karen O (feat. Peaches) -- Backass

I think Pinkie can't wait for the trailers for that movie to stop running on the television because EVERY TIME one comes on, I laugh uncontrollably in a maniacal fashion. We adore Johnny Knoxville -- FYI, we think he's fiiiiiiine. Full stop.

***

In High Demand today:

Wyrd Sisters -- This Is The Night (members of Pulp, Radiohead, etc.) Because yes, uh, we totes watched Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire last night. *ahem* No comment. We love how Jarv totally pulls a latter-day Bryan Ferry by providing both this song and the end title to the soundtrack.

Patrick Wolf -- Accident and Emergency (site) I think this is a cruddy transcode of the stream from the site, but... So good!

The Boy Least Likely To -- When I Grow Up I Want To Be A Boy
(site) More melancholy sweetness and light from TBLLT.

The Assemblers -- Tribute (label Myspace) Who are these people? Tell me. Tell me now. Primo pomo throwback pastiche. Trust me.

The Legends -- Lucky Star (Jimahl Remix) (Myspace) (video) Not a Madonna cover, more of a Jellybean Benitez homage. Adorable Swedes, natch. Do they teach the history of pop music there in school, or something?

Finally: MC DJ is back. Have a lovely weekend!

5 Comments:

Blogger cleverlazy said...

You know, Cindy, I think some of the conversation would have driven you nuts. Talking blog to a room full of music industry types more interested in the answer to "what are the numbers?" than "where is blogging going?" and "what could it become?" was kinda disorienting to a table full of people doin' it for no money.

I don't think some of the music industeratti(certainly not those involved in devising "recommendation engines") could even wrap their heads around why we do it. But some of the comments that came near the end - like that of Mr. Electronic Frontier Foundation - were pretty right on. And Mac McCaughan's comments on today's panel were great.

Friday, October 06, 2006 6:18:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

That sounds a lot like the music blogging panel at SXSW this year...! This is kind of why I (and the Pinkster, we come in a matched set, ha!) want to do panels like that. We probably have too many answers (and sassy retorts!) to questions like that.

Thanks for the recap, sweetie!

Friday, October 06, 2006 6:33:00 PM  
Blogger Pinkie von Bloom said...

uh, yeah. do the "industry types" want multi-tabbed financial dossiers on sales projections and marketing intiatives? like the kind i'd have to write macros for? dude. bring it on. i love a challenge. yes, i'm twisted like that, but cindy's not kidding when she says we want to do the panels. we have (some of) the answers that the industry types are creaming their proverbial jeans for.

Friday, October 06, 2006 6:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ugh. anyone giving any credit to ultragrrrrl is clearly an idiot

Sunday, October 08, 2006 11:13:00 AM  
Blogger Sucka Pants said...

Ha. Looks like I'll be photographing your scarf for Sn'B when you finish it (hey, we all have to pay our bills somehow). Looking forward to it.

Sunday, October 08, 2006 9:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com