The Rich Girls Are Weeping

08 January 2007

I didn't know you could have a case of the Mondays when you didn't have a desk job, but that is indeed what is happening today. A full-on case of the Mondays, capped off by the odd non-event of Bloc Party lead singer Kele Okereke kind of coming out (finally?) in The Guardian. Or something. Believe me, listen to Silent Alarm again and think about the lyrics in terms of being a queer, immigrant African in the UK and it's a lot more hard, poignant, and profound all at the same time. I've always wanted to talk about Silent Alarm as an album steeped in conflicted sexuality, is it okay to do so now? Various commenters have pointed out that no one really cares if he's gay or not -- I would beg to differ, really. At any rate, we certainly understand Okereke's resistance to becoming a gay "icon," which almost always means that one enters that odd ghetto of "tolerance" wrapped in stereotypes. There's some silver lining here somewhere, though -- the band's announced a bunch of tour dates, including a now mostly definite appearance at SXSW. So, there's that at least.


Bloc Party -- Like Eating Glass (Black Strobe Remix)
. It's so cold in this house and in this bed, indeed. (site)(remixer)

In other news, the NYT tries to make a phenomenon out of traditional journalists moving more heavily into the online space -- namely at startup politico.com. I can't quite pinpoint why this makes me so frothingly annoyed, but it does. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that we weren't among the critics selected to contribute to the Jackin' Pop poll. (We're really trying not to take it personally, we promise.) There's a connection there somewhere.

I also just got a strange phone call from a friend-of-a-friend who's been hounding me for months for some unknown reason -- apparently just for small talk it seems, which is fine except that I don't really have anything to discuss with her. At all. Whatevs. I'm going to the bodega, I need to get out of the house and shake my doldrums. Oh, and maybe listen to The Wombats, too.

The Wombats -- Backfire @ The Disco
. (MySpace)

[ETA: Don't forget to vote in the Austin Chronicle's Austin Music Poll! If you don't the dead birds will get you.)

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Simone said...

I think if Kele wants to confess anything to the world it should be that his real name is Roland. No kidding.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007 8:41:00 AM  
Blogger FiL said...

Miaow!!! ;-)

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 3:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com