The Rich Girls Are Weeping

17 January 2006

If you cut into the past, the future falls out. I've been reading Paul Morley's Words and Music. It's easily one of the oddest and most interesting books about popular music that I've ever read. If I get through it, I think I'll throw myself a goddamn party. Anyway, the point of this entry is that Mr. Morley starts the book by taking about his two favorite pieces of music: Alvin Lucier's seminal and ultra-experimental acoustic-electro-noise piece "I Am Sitting in a Room" [ETA: mp3 here] and Kylie Minogue's "I Can't Get You Out of My Head." He then spends a good chunk of text discussing the first time he heard Tangerine Dream's Phaedra as an impressionable teenager. I'm only on like, page 25 and I think my brain has officially melted.

Needless to say, Mr. Morley's little-c catholic taste is staggeringly heartwarming. Makes me feel a little less weird, you know?

(And thanx to DJ Food for introducing me to the work of Mr. Morley and Mr. Lucier in Raiding the 20th Century.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've wondered if that book was worth reading. I always thought Morley's sleeve notes and such for ZTT were total mad brilliance.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 6:42:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

I can lend it to you when I'm done, if you like.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 7:05:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Thanks, Jay!

Friday, January 20, 2006 5:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com