The Rich Girls Are Weeping

09 January 2006

You like me, you really, really like me! Checking the referral logs over coffee this morning, I was happy to discover that I've been added to The Hype Machine, which is fantastic. So, welcome to anyone arriving via that route, hope you like what you see here.

Relatedly, I changed up the design a bit over the weekend between bouts of cleaning, only to discover that I'd inadvertently used the same typeface for the header that The Like used on the cover of their 2005 debut album, Are You Thinking What I'm Thinking? This is amusing as I've been a fan of The Like for years, and pushed them on everyone in my little Livejournal, long before mp3 blogs were in vogue. (I'd read about Charlotte, Tennessee, and Z in an issue of Interview a few years ago that wasn't afraid to present the fact that they're all daughters of successful music industry types. I suppose they wanted to get those accusations of nepotism out of the way early.)

Anyway, at first, I wasn't a huge fan of the new album as my favorite tracks from the band's little EPs over the years were tarted up with what I felt was a ton of unnecessary production. After spending some quality time with Are You Thinking What I'm Thinking? this weekend, though, I've changed my mind, and I'm impressed with the overall effort. (Plus, the discovery that it was produced by Wendy Melvoin certainly re-piqued my interest. Yes. Wendy of Prince's backup sirens Wendy & Lisa.) Anyway, I've posted both versions for your consideration.

I'm also quite smitten with "Under the Paving Stones" -- I love how the song take a left turn from shimmery California pop into NYC territory -- then again, I think the ladies of The Like love their New Order records as much as their well-worn Fleetwood Mac records. Which is something I can totally relate to.

The Like -- (So I'll Sit Here) Waiting (EP version)
The Like -- Falling Away (EP version)

The Like -- (So I'll Sit Here) Waiting (album version)
The Like -- Falling Away (album version)

Bonus: The Like -- Under the Paving Stones

(Buy The Like's Are You Thinking What I'm Thinking? from Amazon. Sadly, their 3 homemade EPs are out of print.)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope I eventually change my mind, too. The difference in production didn't affect me as much as finding the new songs to be such a step down in quality from the old ones. Thanks for turning me on to them in the first place!

Monday, January 09, 2006 3:37:00 PM  
Blogger Battlestar Luna said...

love The Like. Glad they are coming back to ATX for SXSW. Am i the only person who thinks "(so i'll sit here) waiting" sounds like "Where is My Mind?"

Monday, January 09, 2006 6:21:00 PM  
Blogger K said...

Very Cool site. Love the simple layout classy.

Monday, January 09, 2006 6:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed these mp3's - it might just be me but "The Like" remind me of Celebrity Skin era Hole. Have you still got an LJ - if so come and look for me (mellowdoubt) and add me... if you want to that is :)

Thursday, January 12, 2006 1:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com