The Rich Girls Are Weeping

30 March 2006

I've been in meetings, so here's just a quick post for you. I'm totally enamored of the new Ms. John Soda album, Notes and the like. It seemed a long time coming -- has it really been 4 years since No P. or D. was released? I suppose so.

I can't agree with this P-fork review that slams the album for being the same old same old lap-pop; there's some interesting things going on here. For instance, one of Ms. John Soda's signature elements -- the persistent and vaguely ominous (or are they vaguely uplifting?) melodic basslines swimming underneath the glitchy experimental noise action and Stefanie Bohm's sweet and weary voice keeps the album from slipping into the monotony that so often befalls your basic lego-block electropop. There's even stringed instruments floating about in a number of the songs, tipping the whole album more toward the organic end of things, rather than the sterile and distant.

In the end, it's kind of nice to know that moody, acoustic-flavored, and slightly difficult electropop is still available via the Morr Music crowd -- I'm not really ready to consider the genre dead and buried yet, are you?

Ms. John Soda -- Scan the ways
Ms. John Soda -- Line by line

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've only had a chance to listen to the new album once, and while I do think the Pitchfork review was overly harsh, it didn't impress me as much as their first album. I do need to listen to it a few more times. Ms. John Soda, Lali Puna, 13&God...When are they just going to make a proper new Notwist album?

Thursday, March 30, 2006 4:51:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

...see, and I don't really like The Notwist that much -- they've never really grabbed me. I'm more for Lali Puna and Ms. John Soda. Marcus Acher is one busy dude. (:

Thursday, March 30, 2006 5:06:00 PM  
Blogger music is art said...

thankyou for sharing this

i really love it

great blog btw

Thursday, April 13, 2006 1:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com