The Rich Girls Are Weeping

23 March 2006

Can my at-bat music be The Double's "Idiocy"? Pretty please? This item totally deserves a post of its own. Matador Records has licensed a wee little chunklet of their catalog to Take 2 Interactive for use in Major League Baseball 2k6, including:
* Belle and Sebastian - To Be Myself Completely and Le Pastie De La Bourgeoisie
* Cornelius - Drop and Count Five Or Six
* Early Man - Closing In (The Medley)
* Interpol - Evil
* Mogwai - Hunted By A Freak
* Pavement - Serpentine Pad
* Preston School of Industry - Line It Up
* Pretty Girls Make Graves - The Grandmother Wolf
* Stephen Malkmus - Loud Cloud Crowd
* The Double - Icy and Idiocy
* Yo La Tengo - Today Is The Day
Please tell me you find this as amusing as I do. Also, this quote, from sports fan and fancy dancer Mr. Gerard Cosloy, is choice:
"We are pleased to license a wide range of songs from Matador artists for the 2K Sports Major League Baseball 2K6 video game," said Matador co-founder Gerard Cosloy. "Given that our roster is filled with avid gamers and baseball fans, this was a natural fit."
Ok, raise your hands. We know that certain members of Interpol, at least, are fans of the batting cage and the Playstation 2; I hear Chan Marshall prefers EA Sports titles, and I bet Malkmus is killer in the outfield. (I kid, I kid...) But: Are you a fan of Matador artists and baseball and video games? Enquiring minds want to know.

The Double -- Idiocy

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the entire matador roster and staff are huge fans of baseball video games. If you were to ask any of the persons in question what would they rather do, attend a night at the opera, volunteer at a soup kitchen, read to orphans or simulate Derek Jeter's poor range going to his left, the answer would be "D" from everyone polled.

The vast sums money that 2K6 paid the bands and label played absolutely no part in our decision to endorse a video game none of us have actually played yet. I'm told it totally rules. If you're into that kind of thing.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 11:09:00 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

"Count Five or Six" might be an interesting at bat choice.

Friday, March 24, 2006 12:17:00 AM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Mr. Cosloy: Believe me, I am glad they paid you beaucoup bucks, that is totally grand. I'll say it before, and I'll say it again -- there's no such thing as selling out anymore -- unless you're We Are Scientists, but I digress. This is especially great as Take Two is one of the only game manufacturers not currently hemmoraging cash due to the slump in game sales due to the delay of the Playstation 3 release.

I do not play video games, but I write about the industry in my "real" job (go figure!) ... but this is the kind of synergy that would make me at least check out the game on someone else's console when it comes out. Seriously.

And I'm not kidding. I really do want "Idiocy" as my at-bat music.

Thanks for reading & commenting. And hey, I enjoyed your comments on that panel you were on at SXSW on Saturday. It was a very entertaining discussion.

Friday, March 24, 2006 3:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cindy,

to tell you the truth, it really wasn't very much money. Everyone has their price. Ours just happens to be kinda low, at least in this case.

I'm still looking forward to checking out 2K6 baseball but I'm getting the impression I'll have to sell out $50 at Electronics Boutique like everyone else.

I'm sure there is something that qualifies as selling out. Unless any of our artists specifically said they'd never license their music to a baseball videogame, this probably isn't the most clear-cut example.

I have my own issues with a commercial endeavor that glorifies Derek Jeter, but hey, one of our bands had a song in a movie starring Freddie Prinze Jr. It's a world full of harsh compromises!

best wishes
GC

Friday, March 24, 2006 11:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this isnt the first time something like this happened-last year's EA MVP 05 baseball game had Trail of Dead-"Let it Dive" in it. and maybe it was the same one, but Guided By Voices were in one as well.

The latter one being awkwardly sandwiched between EA's horrendous choices of Vans Tour rejects they normally populate their games with.

I want there to be a secret code to play as Gerard and let him take Mike Mussina deep.

Friday, March 24, 2006 2:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Commercial sellouts.
Sports is so morons have something to talk about.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 1:57:00 AM  
Blogger Lindsay Lohan said...

Carlos D fucking SUCKS at super mario. true story.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 5:45:00 AM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Ned: Handy info, thanks! So he's not totally beholden to the PS2 then? That goes against my sources... Scandale! (;

Snarky anon. commenter: Hey, no need to be like that, seriously. I won't delete your comment, I'll just make an example (albeit not a very damning one) of you. No hateration here, thanks.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 4:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And yet I can't believe they left off the obvious Belle & Sebastian track, "Piazza, New York Catcher".

I don't really play sports games, but I think this is great news. Anything's better than the EA Trax generic pop-punk that every other game soundtrack seems to be made of.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 7:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com