The Rich Girls Are Weeping

13 November 2006

As promised...

Goodness, where did the afternoon go? Luckily, I had these in HIGH DEMAND tracks to speed things along...

Coco Freeman & Franz Ferdinand -- The Dark of the Matinee. For like, at least five years, the Gipsy Kings version of "Hotel California" from The Big Liebowski was on every mix CD I made. Though, I suppose I was guilty of using Selena's "Fotos y Recuerdos" (a cover of The Pretenders' "Back on the Chain Gang") just as often. I'm exceptionally pleased that I now have another great Spanish-language version of a (potentially) classic pop song. (Along with Calexico's mariachi version of Goldfrapp's "Human" -- which we've featured before.) I think this particular Franzies number has staying power. And it's simply incredible en Espanol. This track is taken from a benefit cd, Rhythms del Mundo: Cuba. Do the right thing and buy the CD, which includes collaborations between members of the Buena Vista Social Club and big-time international pop stars like U2, Coldplay, The Arctic Monkeys, Sting, and others. (info)

Cake on Cake -- 1981. Something tells me that in an alternate universe, where Swedish popsters are sina qua non, this song is that alternate universe's version of Mates of State's "Fraud in the 80's." Cake on Cake is one girl: Fine arts student and musical polymath Helena Sundin, though sometimes she tours with a backing band and enlists friends to play the instruments she can't. I know that somewhere it was decided that We Bloggers weren't supposed to preview 2007 releases yet, but I had to break the rule for Cake on Cake. The band is touring in the US before the end of the year, check them out if you have the chance. (MySpace)(site)

I Was A Cub Scout -- Pink Squares (Radio Edit)
. Ok, remember that alternate universe I mentioned above? Well, if in that universe all glammo (gloth?) was only produced by little slips of boys and girls who were English and a whole lot less grandiose and annoying than their American counterparts, then The Horrors would be My Chemical Romance, and I Was A Cub Scout would be Panic! At The Disco. Are you still following my logic? I hope so! Or have I totally lost you? Secretly (or rather, not secretly) this is one of those baby bands from the UK that I hope doesn't flame out before they're really successful. (MySpace) (interview)

Shearwater -- Turn Your Transmitters Off. Once upon a time, everyone's favorite Shearwater song "Red Sea, Black Sea" was a jangling, percussive, spacious demo called "Turn Your Transmitters Off," which was my favorite song of 2005. I posted this song here ages back in our nacscent days, but this is a cleaner version from the band's little disc of demos that they took on tour across Europe called Bursera Graveolens -- which, as we all know, is the botanical name of the palo santo tree. Now they're back from that big tour, and hopefully resting and having the best kind of Shearovian adventures possible -- a little rest and recreation our gorgeous central Texas autumn. (site)

4 Comments:

Blogger Battlestar Luna said...

fantastic heads up on this "Rhythms del Mundo: Cuba" not only b/c of U2 ( for me) but b/c i love Omara Portuondo. She does killing me softly for god's sake! who would not want that.

Monday, November 13, 2006 10:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting that Cake on Cake. I'd never heard of them before, and that track really... grabs.. me.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 9:29:00 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Killer treacks today. Like the Shearwater a bunch. Can't believe I haven't really read your blog much before. Great site.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 12:07:00 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Killer treacks today. Like the Shearwater a bunch. Can't believe I haven't really read your blog much before. Great site.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 12:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com