The Rich Girls Are Weeping

15 November 2006

It was like yesterday didn't even really exist. I was so busy with work and showing my apartment to a potential tenant, I just plain forgot to post. Pls. forgive. It may be like this for the next few weeks, considering Pinkie and I are planning a major cross-country relocation in approx. three weeks, with a national holiday smack in the middle. We probably won't be at many shows, or schedule any dj gigs -- but I know you'll understand. (BTW, if you're in Austin, Pinkie's already posted her car on craigslist -- check it out.)

Anyway, I was listening to an old mix CD in the car on the way to work this morning, and I was kind of blown away by the now-timeless goodness of some of the selections -- early Ratatat, John Vanderslice, and of course, the omni-present Wrens. I've lodged myself in new-music mode for so long that I was really grateful for the chance to snuggle up with some old favorites -- even if they're really like, only between two and four years old. I guess that's today's lesson: don't forget where you come from. I could probably detail my history as an indie rock fangirl going back to the mid-90's (commencing with my first time at SXSW in 1995, I suppose), but it would bore you dreadfully. It doesn't really get interesting until I fell in with the Barsuk Mafia (REPRESENT!) in late 2001 or so. This CD I found in my car was that interesting moment in time around late 2002 when I started to look outside of the comfortable confines of pretty straightforward indie pop/rock. I stopped hiding my love of stuff from the 70's, got re-accquainted with the 80's (hello new/no wave!), tried to work through my snotty attitude about Nirvana (with varying degrees of success), and stopped trying to understand why people with rockist attitudes gave me crap for liking electronic music. Which was basically the first step on the journey that leads to the Cindy Hotpoint you all know and love today. True story.

Speaking of looking back -- I'd like to point you to Idolator's post about Aveo yesterday, and the news that Mazarin is changing their name/sort-of retiring, to avoid a legal battle with another band, also named Mazarin... Unrelatedly, if I were in NYC already, I totally would have gone to see Panic! At The Disco at Madison Square Garden. No, I'm not kidding.

Ratatat -- Seventeen Years.

John Vanderslice -- Pale Horse
.

The Wrens -- Everyone Chooses Sides.

ps -- I'm having a fit of nerdiness here -- The Green Pajamas, a semi-favorite band of mine (but mostly a favorite of my friend Chelsea -- more accurately, I know of the band because of Chelsea's recommendation) who play swirly psychedelic folk-pop (more like Fairport Convention, less like The Decemberists) have a new album out called Night Races Into Anna, which is a reference to an imaginary, unfinished book in Jonathan Carroll's book The Land of Laughs. It's far too complicated to explain here, but in The Land of Laughs, the author of Night Races Into Anna, Marshall France, who's kind of like a creepy L. Frank Baum, discovers that every thing he writes in the story becomes real. Needless to say, I'm totally going to check out The Green Pajamas' album for sure now. Check out this sample track, courtesy of Parasol:

The Green Pajamas -- Looking For Heaven
.

Dude, I am so stopping after work to get Joanna Newsom's Ys on vinyl, I completely forgot yesterday. I know I shouldn't be acquiring things, seeing as I'm about to move and all, but this is a special exception. Seriously.

6 Comments:

Blogger maura said...

i was at the panic! show last night, and it was freaking awesome. their version of 'killer queen' was even not terrible!

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 6:59:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

OMG I AM SO JEALOUS!

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 8:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where, pray tell is Cindy going? Or is it a tippy-top secret?

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 11:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The daily blog that Jonathan Carroll keeps on his website is one of the best on the Internet. Funny, sexy and often touching, it is so good that I read it every day like the newspaper.

www.jonathancarroll.com


Rebekka B.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 12:19:00 AM  
Blogger music is art said...

early ratatat ;)

i remember those days...

Thursday, November 16, 2006 9:33:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Page: We're moving to NYC! After months of threats, hints, and allegations. FINALLY. MOVING.

Anon: I LOVE Jonathan Carroll's blog.

Friday, November 17, 2006 11:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com