The Rich Girls Are Weeping

12 December 2006

No, no. We didn't crash and die and drive off a mountain in the freakin' Cumberland Gap -- why didn't anyone remind me about the Eastern Contiental Divide or tell me that the Appalachian Mountains were like, real mountains (I'm used to the craggy majesty of the western US)?? Seriously though, the Rich Girls, Mr. Cat, and 27-foot U-HAUL arrived in Bed-Stuy last Friday. We're unpacking as you read this. The Pinkster starts work tomorrow; I have another job interview (yay!) and we're totally ganking wireless from someone in the 'hood to get this post up. Supposedly, we'll have cable by the end of the week. Really! Promise! Perhaps we'll put up a Best of 2006 list, or something.

Anyway, as you might imagine, I've not read any music blogs for at least a week. What's the new flavor of the moment? Anyone good? I suppose I can read and find out, but I'd rather get your opinon, dear readers.

If you're in NYC or the general environs, come out to The Delancey on Friday for the first show organized by Neon Lights (the faboo D. of Soft Communication and her pal Jeff K). The Ballet, Thieves Like Us, Lismore and Bell play, and our friends Colleen Crumbcake and Fluxblog are djing along with Earfarm. Doors @ 7:30, show at 8. (How novel these early shows are for us!) It's the Rich Girls' first official appearance in NYC -- if you don't count our requisite misadventures at our usual Sunday night haunt, that is. Fernet-Branca (like Glenn Branca only... oh, all right, I know I'm not funny!) was involved, as was gratuitious Treo usage. We're so lame -- or rather, I am. Pinkie's still cool.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girls. Glad to hear you made it safely...

To answer your question about music right now, I'm really digging A Sunny Day In Glasgow, Frightened Rabbit, The Jealous Girlfriends, Secret Mommy, and Star (yes, singular, no S).

Good luck with the unpacking, the new job, and the interview!

Jared

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 9:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to see you ganked, yanked, or cranked in some wifi to the new digs, so that y'all could let everyone know things went ok.

btw, rob is in nyc this week for a "big fancy pants media event," and he's started a set on flickr.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 12:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oop ack...also, pumpkin and inky say, "way to go mr. cat." (i think he's got groupies in elp, now.)

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 12:45:00 AM  
Blogger FiL said...

*FiL heaves sigh of relief*

Welcome to Noo Yoik, goils!! So glad you made it intact.

Argh, you don't want to know what I'm listening to right now. It's all Chrimbo music round my way. But it is nice to be able to crank out St Etienne's "Born on Christmas Day" and The Revolvers' fine cover of "Last Christmas..."

P.S. Word verification is "atetuxil," which must be either a Mayan salamander god, or some sort of gastrointestinal drug...

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 4:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Crikey-it was like a big blackhole just appeared in the blogoverse when you guys went off line.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 8:14:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAYAYAYAY! see you friday! xo c

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 10:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll try my best to charm my way into my very own "faboo" description on Friday. Glad to have you in town.

P.S. The new LCD Soundsystem is the flavor of my week, and likely several weeks to come...

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 11:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to Brooklyn! It's the very best borough...

I've been happily listening to two Saras, Gillespie and Spade.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 2:50:00 PM  
Blogger d said...

let me know when you have your first "no sleep till brooklyn" moment.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 3:05:00 PM  
Blogger jonathan said...

the new Beirut song floating around is beautiful.

Thursday, December 14, 2006 12:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

new LCD Soundsystem = All My Friends. that's the track for me.

Thursday, December 14, 2006 10:26:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome to new york! i hope it treats you two well. (i've never been. been meaning to make it out there, but haven't due to lack of funds and lack of vacation time. i really do need a new job.)

i haven't been listening to much. just rediscovering old albums that i've had and realizing why i fell in love with them in the first place. at least it'll give me time to reflect before january comes in with a lot of new releases (and new bands!)

good luck with everything! :)

Saturday, December 16, 2006 6:28:00 AM  
Blogger Andy Fenwick said...

Welcome to the Terrordome. In the Sty, no less! Congrats.

--A Sunny Day in Glasgow is the real thing
and
--I will be posting the greatest Christmas song ever (yes, files are back) in the next two days
and
The new Deerhoof is better than the new LCD

over and out

Sunday, December 17, 2006 10:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com