The Rich Girls Are Weeping

19 December 2006

Oh, you'll have to forgive us -- things are still kind of askew over here with Comcast and the cable modem and my computer. But I'm heading down to J&R Music World later today or tomorrow to get a wireless card for my desktop computer (yes, really -- how else could I afford to have the most massive mp3 collection in the known universe?) so I can stop borrowing Pinkie's iBook and actually do a meaningful post.

Well, actually, this post is meaningful, just not, you know -- full of mp3s.

First of all, we had a great time at the show on Friday. It was nice to get out of the house and see old friends and new. Certainly one of the best parts of the evening was when Fluxblog accused us of living in a mansion -- we don't really, but the house is big! There was also an incident with a broken beer bottle that was mostly my fault, but we survived. We really enjoyed The Ballet and Theives Like Us -- we'll have to catch Lismore and Bell another time, though. We sort of ended up arriving late because I, uh, well... I left my wallet at home. And in NYC, this means getting off the train, riding it back to our stop, walking back to the house, finding the wallet, walking back to the train station, and waiting for another C train. So, yes, we were just a leetle bit late.

Now, normally, I'd let Pinkie give me crap about forgetting my wallet for a few weeks, at least -- but we're already even because I totally helped her break a law on Sunday night -- it wasn't the cabaret law, and it didn't involve any illicit substances or anything -- but she most definitely broke a law big-time. It's actually quite good we didn't get caught, really. I wouldn't be writing this now, that's for sure. (I should also mention that we totally wanted to go see O Death at the Todd P show on Saturday, but we were totally beat after a full day of unpacking -- so we watched the VH1 Behind the Music episode about Pantera instead. It made us kind of homesick, really.)

Anyway, there's a few interesting things going on this week, even though things are slowing up because of the holidays, but there's a few events on tap benefitting worthy causes that are sure to squelch your inner Scrooge-ness. The Teenage Prayers' show on Wednesday at the Mercury Lounge is a benefit for one of our neighbors, the Brooklyn Community Arts & Media High School. Used To Be Women, Heap, and J Dimmena also play. If that's not your speed, tonight and Wednesday there's a big two-night event benefit at Club Europa in Brooklyn for The Father's Heart Ministries, a soup kitchen and food pantry in the East Village, and the Friendship House, a community center for the mentally ill and homeless in Knoxville, TN. On the bill tonight: Stars Like Fleas, Ateleia, Paul Duncan, Bear in Heaven (Members of Rhys Chatham's Essentialist & Jonathan Kane's February), Mountains, Soft Circle (ex Black Dice), Queens, and Midnight Motion (Members of Grizzly Bear) along with DJs Andreas Knutsen and Tres from Psychic Ills. Tomorrow's bill features: Zachary Cale, Uncle Woody Sullender, Corridors, Mouthus, Electroputas, Matta Llama, D Charles Speer (members of No Neck Blues Band), and Castanets, with DJ Root Hog or Die. Seriously, use your rock'n'roll powers for good and not evil this week, okay? Okay.

Meanwhile, I'll see about getting a wireless card. Be good!

7 Comments:

Blogger d said...

better late than never rich girls! & I'm gonna keep calling chez rgaw a mansion until I see it with my own eyes!

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 3:26:00 PM  
Blogger d said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 2:29:00 PM  
Blogger d said...

wait. broken beer bottles? did I miss a fight?

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 2:33:00 PM  
Blogger Pinkie von Bloom said...

No fights. Cindy just used a banquette for a coaster, which resulted in a bottle launching itself toward her leg.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 3:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm... castanets or the decemberists on the colbert report...castanets or the decemberists on the colbert report...it was so easy before I read yr damn blog.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 6:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ladies, it was excellent to mee you in the flesh on friday & dressed to the nines i might add.

oh & i saw the SWEET rgaw mansionette with my own eyes (before THEY did even) & the place is pretty fab. like 2 apartments in one!

hope to hang out with you ladies sooon!! (on new year's eve at last exit when i'm spinning perhaps??)

xo
colleen

Friday, December 22, 2006 7:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(put a "t" in there for me, eh?

Friday, December 22, 2006 7:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com