The Rich Girls Are Weeping

28 November 2006

We're here, we're all right -- we're just mad busy with moving plans. I have four doctors' appointments over the next three days, for instance. (Please note that we are still selling our cars.) Things are happening so quickly, it's insane. Hope everyone had a nice weekend, holiday or not. We sure did -- visiting home is always lovely.

Here's some news from the inbox that you might find interesting:

The Lolita Bras EP is done, and you can buy it directly from them at their MySpace page.

Local upcoming events of note: Cue and Tia Carrera play tomorrow @ The Beauty Bar; Pink Nasty is at Beerland. The Onion's launch party is Thursday at Emo's and is free -- SoundTeam, Tacks The Boy Disaster, IV Theives, Lemurs, and Eugene Mirman are the featured attraction. Buy The Onion's Austin city editor Sean O'Neal (This Microwave World, The Arm) a beer or two and congratulate him on his new job! Finally, the massive three-stage, one day FunFunFun Fest at Waterloo Park is Friday -- check out the site for lineup and ticket details. Spoon, Peaches, The Black Angels, DJ Mel, Prefuse 73, Whitey and a whole host of others are on the bill. Mates of State, Asobi Seksu, and Faceless Werewolves rock Emo's on Sunday.

Stream the new Gwen Stefani record, The Sweet Escape, courtesy of AOL.

This may be everywhere already, but you know I can't resist a Freeform Five effort, especially this deliciously funky number from Soul Mekanik, which is covered on Robbie Williams' new record. Unfortunately, though, that cover effectively tanked the commercial release of this remix.

Soul Mekanik -- Never Touch That Switch (Freeform Reform).

Cassettes Won't Listen, who has remixed indie rock luminaries Asobi Seksu and Midlake, among others, has a new album out called The Quiet Trial. You can buy it direct from Dope Lotus Records.

I have had this song stuck in my head for days, and something about the Soul Mekanik song above just made the earworm even worse! Now it'll be stuck in your head too. Does anyone remember when it was the theme to Fashion Television? That was my Saturday afternoon, back in the day -- Style with Elsa Klensch on CNN and Fashion Television on VH1. Ah, nostalgia.

Animotion -- Obsession.

Oh, and -- guess who was reviewed in the People ish with George Clooney being one sexy mofo on the cover? The Hold Steady, that's who. They got 3.5 stars. Recorded in a crappy picture made with my secondhand Treo:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to see you guys back, missed the posts. Where is this "home" you were visiting?

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 2:37:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Aww, it's nice to be appreciated. (;

Home for me is Far, Far West Texas. Pinkie's hometown is somewhere in the way outer orbits of Houston.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 3:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I have a dilemma. The Hold Steady is coming on Tuesday, and I don't know if I have time to go see them.

I've not really listened to their latest much (read: I didn't like the sound of the first thirty seconds and left it at that), so my question is this: are they worth seeing?

Thanks ^^

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 6:14:00 PM  
Blogger cindy hotpoint said...

Well, have you seen them live before? Because one should, at least once.

However, they're really pushing the new record on this tour (obvs!), so the setlist is mostly from B&GIA, and features less from the earlier albums.

Ergo, I would say yes, they're worth seeing, but maybe not on this tour. If you don't have time to see them, don't stress it and catch 'em some other time.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 6:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Toran,

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Cindy on your Hold Steady query. Speaking as someone who was not a huge Hold Steady fan (by any stretch of the imagination) before I saw them live four days ago, GO GO GO see them!!! If you like even one Hold Steady song (I had about six in my library before I saw them on Monday), it will be more than worth it.

Despite what Cindy said, they actually seemed to throw quite a bit of older stuff in the set in Columbia, S.C. ... "Hornets! Hornets!" and "Your Little Hoodrat Friend" (!!!!) and "The Swish" and "Multitude of Casualties" and "Stevie Nix" and "Killer Parties" ... and those were just the ones I knew.

I thought they were one of the most sheerly fun bands I've seen in a long time. Craig Finn smiles more than any lead singer I've ever seen in my life. I had a hard time not getting into it with his shit-eating grin front and center like that. Also, Tad Kubler shreds extremely hard, and the keyboard player (Franz?) is nothing to sniff at, either. Fuck, they were all great. Overall, a fantastic old-fashioned dirty-bar rock-n-roll show.

Friday, December 01, 2006 7:07:00 PM  
Blogger Aya Amurjuev said...

OH MY LORD I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR THAT ANIMOTION TRACK FOR AN ETERNITY. You've converted another reader to your blog :)

Sunday, December 24, 2006 12:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com